weekly d00d's 52 in 2018 ~ week 25 Bright

Well I got it straight off
smartass.gif
I find the vignette a bit heavy and the samsonite logo perhaps a little unsubtle (but then reading the comments above perhaps not) but the composition works with the model in the photo pointing at the juxtaposed subject, I found it a tough theme and this certainly meets the brief for me.
Works for me, agree about the vignette otherwise a worthy attempt at the theme
Thanks Chris and Allan

The 'vignette' was a mistake so I've undone it. Here is my edit with nothing but the logo added.

_eN7eGzI_1V-ahO914mVxh5MUU71PIZtjO8Qs9L9ronT4nMVRJ0XKbCQ6zBXR5x9nfWlWpD4Lwir0D9HbB-m0foS2go5tiYIKcfgqtccjtkW4VZT840YDzprWHcE9tpleWogMy6BrCNUDuSdSFG5mvlnF1MuvJwfK3R5XW5R-2_qWErYdYMVQALQCV6y_5kS_Pzsq-ry2kfQxGtOlFUk25HarTVaGJSO8eiEjVjSMk9w3n7wujRe5DoYREwJjd2TwsQ0L2RIALqYfOvdwLPLtSzoN9uEIqtoh3Y4BYiXrkfl3CZyQu54NGdIfGTgCIQfNWYzbfB_ZeecyJyy8aeT1xo7049HCkwFLykjoMcsOCCQrboxA1ii7UWCky4eQdosGYo076SjQPrfBBoa1fyd_dlEOtnWZZoL5fLS04vrBi064896Xw28CwF62RiLEOKQqxIilseW8LXGNr9QIafzOCh_De9_bmzxOBaIEGQAbGlC2QOwZrzkz22YcIjqAx9TNge_8nkn2MUHTQ0R3wV2IjTbQJqqxC5ADDxMxFPBwpXJYzj4zadZP9nbBg03cOcb88CXfmPIqqgDy2nrqnv8f_JFHJqXfPhRp6oXFl4=w1248-h885-no

Ah, got it now. I genuinely didn't realise that the woman in the middle is real! I think it was the vignette that fooled me. In that case I like it and I think it's a very clever take on the theme. Sorry for being a bit obtuse.

Edit:

Crossed posts, I see you have now removed the vignette -- much better.

Last edited:
Hiya d00d ....I'm back :)

I've had a quick whizz through and as always excellent choices for the themes, love those horses, not just because they fit the theme, but it's such an brilliant work of art, a touching reminder of their significance during the war.
Also love the umbrella, what a great idea, simple but effective,I must try something like that

Juxtaposition, its one of 'those' words isn't it, I just did another quick Google and found Juxtaposition is an act or instance of placing two elements close together or side by side. This is often done in order to compare/contrast the two, to show similarities or differences. Just saw your edit ....looks much better, I like that.

Last edited:
Love your shot for Wet and Jux David, the water droplets are great on the Umbrella!

At first I thought they were all in the poster... Very clever idea, but I think it would work better without the fake samsonite logo!

I must be getting better David, I got it straight off too. Good take on the theme and the logo fooled me (so perhaps not getting better after all.) Agree about the vignette though. :)

Ah, got it now. I genuinely didn't realise that the woman in the middle is real! I think it was the vignette that fooled me. In that case I like it and I think it's a very clever take on the theme. Sorry for being a bit obtuse.

Edit:

Crossed posts, I see you have now removed the vignette -- much better.
Cheers Martin :D

Hiya d00d ....I'm back :)

I've had a quick whizz through and as always excellent choices for the themes, love those horses, not just because they fit the theme, but it's such an brilliant work of art, a touching reminder of their significance during the war.
Also love the umbrella, what a great idea, simple but effective,I must try something like that

Juxtaposition, its one of 'those' words isn't it, I just did another quick Google and found Juxtaposition is an act or instance of placing two elements close together or side by side. This is often done in order to compare/contrast the two, to show similarities or differences. Just saw your edit ....looks much better, I like that.

Welcome back!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the google interpretation above is what I had in mind when shooting the samsonite pic. I went to Westfield with the aim of catching people on escalators going in opposite directions but that didn't work out, but I soon came up with this idea instead .... and I like it! :)

Works for me too; a different idea and good timing!
Thanks Andrea

There was an element of luck!
Love your shot for Wet and Jux David, the water droplets are great on the Umbrella!
Thanks Paul (y)

At first I thought they were all in the poster... Very clever idea, but I think it would work better without the fake samsonite logo!
Thanks Bernd ... you may be right about that logo(?).

Works for me too; a different idea and good timing!
Thanks Andrea

There was an element of luck!
Thanks Paul (y)

Thanks Bernd ... you may be right about that logo(?).

Last edited:
Like @sirch I got the theme too. You could say even the scale of the two women to the real one is juxtaposition, like the logo touch too.
Thanks Dave ... life is a juxtaposition.:D

I must be getting better David, I got it straight off too. Good take on the theme and the logo fooled me (so perhaps not getting better after all.) Agree about the vignette though. :)
Thanks John

Some people here know I like this sort of thing, I've done it before ... like the people walking past the Starbucks ad I did last year.

Last edited:
Really like the detail of the umbrella spokes going out the fram and the wet detailing too....

I want the girl to be bang central between the other two please...

Hey David,

Wet - it may have been frustrating getting it to work, but glad you went to the effort, it a cool shot. A touch of abstractness about it even though the objects in the shot are everyday.

Juxtaposition - My take was old vs new bags (not fake vs real women, as the models must be real too). Quite like the OTT usage of the white vignette, with the colours in the image it seems to work for me. intriguing to place it at the bottom only.

Really like the detail of the umbrella spokes going out the fram and the wet detailing too....

I want the girl to be bang central between the other two please...
Hey David,

Wet - it may have been frustrating getting it to work, but glad you went to the effort, it a cool shot. A touch of abstractness about it even though the objects in the shot are everyday.

Juxtaposition - My take was old vs new bags (not fake vs real women, as the models must be real too). Quite like the OTT usage of the white vignette, with the colours in the image it seems to work for me. intriguing to place it at the bottom only.
Thanks for looking in guy. (y)

Hi David Juxtaposition took me a while to 'get' it but its a good take on the the theme. I prefer the one with out the vignette

Very good, well spotted love the greys and blues in there too

Good choice for the theme, I like the muted colour pallet and for once these grey skies are doing someone a favour

Very good, well spotted love the greys and blues in there too
Good choice for the theme, I like the muted colour pallet and for once these grey skies are doing someone a favour
Thanks chaps (y)

I came up with the idea last Thurs but didn't get the chance to do it till yesterday. And was surprised what detail my 200mm lens (on cropped) captured. And yes the grey weather was on my side.

My Area: liked No1 but really like the linked painting? effect, think its beautiful close up. in fact i would buy for home
if i seen in a shop.

Gate/d: another good shot, good idea to have the open gate.

People: nice clean clear shot. like your style.

Stark: Not to sure on this David, more me, its either my monitor or eyes.

Over. Yes like this. well thought out.

Ageing: Nice colours with the red and green stems, nice sharp shot.

Sharp: like this with the focus on one blade,eye catching take.

To be cont...(y)

Walter

Oval - Great choice for the theme David like Allan and Chris I like the muted colours the fairly bland sky really helps the pods and structure of the wheel stand out

My Area: liked No1 but really like the linked painting? effect, think its beautiful close up. in fact i would buy for home
if i seen in a shop.

Gate/d: another good shot, good idea to have the open gate.

People: nice clean clear shot. like your style.

Stark: Not to sure on this David, more me, its either my monitor or eyes.

Over. Yes like this. well thought out.

Ageing: Nice colours with the red and green stems, nice sharp shot.

Sharp: like this with the focus on one blade,eye catching take.

To be cont...(y)

Walter

Thanks for all your comment Walter. (y)

Re Stark .... yes a bit of an odd one: a colourless object shot against an overcast sky ... was tweaked pretty hard in PP.

Very Nice Image David, good sharp detail and sky helped you out. Nice composition, the ovals are coming into the picture.

Pete

Juxtaposition

Well I got it fairly quickly. I like the composition and don't mind the Samsonite logo. I can see why you've got the vignetting there, but think it's a little to heavy.

Very Nice Image David, good sharp detail and sky helped you out. Nice composition, the ovals are coming into the picture.

Pete
A street shot with the Eye in the background was one of my options for Oval, but I don't think it came out anywhere near as well as yours. A lovely sharp clear shot. Bang on theme. :)
Juxtaposition

Well I got it fairly quickly. I like the composition and don't mind the Samsonite logo. I can see why you've got the vignetting there, but think it's a little to heavy.
Thanks guys (y) .... and yes @Nostromo the Jux vignetting was rushed and badly done.

Great photo for oval, crop works very well, as does the grey sky. Amazing details too (y)

Juxtaposition - I think the vignette fits well with the poster and it is a good take on the theme, but don't like the blue logo,
Oval - Great shot lots of detail and the pods stand out well

Oval, now this is a very good shot for the theme David. Went on it about a month after it opened and loved the views across London. Sky goes well with the Pods as imo it just enhances them and makes them pop.
Juxtaposition - I think the vignette fits well with the poster and it is a good take on the theme, but don't like the blue logo,
Oval - Great shot lots of detail and the pods stand out well
Love the choice for the theme d00d, you’ve caught it just at the right angle, loads of lovely detail, it made me feel quite nostalgic about my visits to my grandaughter in London.
Thank you all for your input (y) I enjoyed that one, pleased with the result.

Hi David

Good impression of straight, even though you can't see much of it the leading lines work well.

Pete

Yep - Straight is a nice one :)

Back