weekly d00d's 52s in 2021 > Week 11 ~ Smooth

Hi David, I love the way the dirt has created a texture of its own it's stunning.
Beautifully composed and I agree with you that I don't think a B&W image would do it justice.
It's got a thumbs up from me.

Simple and to the point d00d and you were first in too :)
Thanks susie
Nice and Grimy!! Well on theme and nice detail.
Thanks David
Hi David, I love the way the dirt has created a texture of its own it's stunning.
Beautifully composed and I agree with you that I don't think a B&W image would do it justice.
It's got a thumbs up from me.
Thanks Heather. I thinks there's a smudge there, but apart from that it is interesting what happens when the wind whistles around the back of an Audi at 70+ on the motorway.

Week 3 ... Stone

So I thought I'd visit the cemetery, with long lens compression in mind.

GX80 + 100-300 ... f/.16

Headstone
ACtC-3cjQZYYYMXXPJHM868rr-rOobu-n7m5bFvf7MhUATkj_NIHqH8tfaWN3pvhyKHiXi4JUNmoGOIRRKAikQowakZOUjl-sIVtS06YvMA6oyEhzXqG3GPy3S5xxyzfTAxon8hnGzovOg2qeQShiwzZoU5nfA=w1465-h867-no

Last edited:
Stone
I like that. I like the higgledy-piggledy of the headstones, the green algae and light.

Very good, I do like a cemetery not sure about the stone on the right but Its a good choice for the theme

Great idea for the theme, I like to haphazard arrangement of the stones and the even colours and tones really work well. The use of the long lens to compress the image has worked very well indeed.

Stone
I like that. I like the higgledy-piggledy of the headstones, the green algae and light.

higgledy-piggledy ... they certainly are. Cheers Dominic.
Me too d00d, thats a perfect choice for the topic, you’ve really caught them at a perfect angle to fit so many in ....have you done the ‘fill the frame’ yet if not this one definitely ticks that box.
Thanks susie, no I haven't done a 'fill the frame' yet. I can't get used to this new 'challenge' ;) All my shots fill the frame. Anyway I think we've got till the end of Feb.

Very good, I do like a cemetery not sure about the stone on the right but Its a good choice for the theme
Thanks Allan. Yes I know you've posted a few cemetery shots in your time.

I do feel there are better shots of compressed gravestones to be had there at my favourite cemetery. I'll be back.

Nice use of a long lens David and the light picks out the inscriptions nicely.

Great idea for the theme, I like to haphazard arrangement of the stones and the even colours and tones really work well. The use of the long lens to compress the image has worked very well indeed.
Thank you guys. It's work in progress. :D

Nicely presented David.
I doubt that it would work in B&W either, you'd lose most of the weathering and the moss.

good sharp detail on the letters and carving I might have cropped out the dark stone in the right corner but that's just me and I agree it would not look as good in b/w

Nicely presented David.
I doubt that it would work in B&W either, you'd lose most of the weathering and the moss.
Yep, I agree, thanks boss.

Like your idea to use a long lens to compress them together. They look as though they are stacked away in a corner somewhere.
Thanks Stan ... yes, interesting effect, I'm gonna play some more.

Better not let you photograph socially distanced covid crowds David, the red tops would have a field day. ;)
HaHa ... I know what you mean. I saw something on the net last year showing a queue in Oxford St. with some distancing but the picture told a different story.

good sharp detail on the letters and carving I might have cropped out the dark stone in the right corner but that's just me and I agree it would not look as good in b/w
Thanks minx ... I thought about doing something about that stone RHS but the shot is cropped enough already. Perhaps I'll try something else.

Good work David, mission accomplished with the compression on the long lens, it brings the headstones together nicely with lots of detail in there.
I might be tempted with a crop, just to lose the part headstone in the bottom right hand corner, it draws my eye a little.
I too would stick with colour, I like the colour tones in the weathering.

Nice. Great crop.
Thank you!

Good work David, mission accomplished with the compression on the long lens, it brings the headstones together nicely with lots of detail in there.
I might be tempted with a crop, just to lose the part headstone in the bottom right hand corner, it draws my eye a little.
I too would stick with colour, I like the colour tones in the weathering.
Thanks Iain ... yes that's what I like about the 52s, that feeling of mission accomplished. However that doesn't mean to say I won't be back for a reshoot.

Colour for me too - the compression from the long lens has worked perfectly.
Cheers Shugpug.

Great idea compressing the image, I have the same lens on my G5 so it's maybe something I can look to do in the future

Great idea compressing the image, I have the same lens on my G5 so it's maybe something I can look to do in the future
Thanks

I've been thinking of going back with my Panasonic 45-150mm, cos I really love that lens, and I think it should do a good job with those stones. :D

Thanks

I've been thinking of going back with my Panasonic 45-150mm, cos I really love that lens, and I think it should do a good job with those stones. :D
I managed to purchase the new 12-60 kit lens secondhand but unused for a great price (£140) which is my go to lens, I do have the 45-150 lens too though.

That is some compression, it looks so crowded, reminds me of the Jewish Cemetery in Prague. The tones are lovely, but the dark stone edge in the bottom right draws my eye a little.

That is some compression, it looks so crowded, reminds me of the Jewish Cemetery in Prague. The tones are lovely, but the dark stone edge in the bottom right draws my eye a little.
thanks Nick ....

I love the compression on the headphone shot and the lighting is great

I like this.. the compression works really well with a lovely mix of colour and texture.

Week 4 - Tall .... 35 Floors at 88 Wood Lane. The tallest in my borough, I think.

ACtC-3ccFFwHOIn1YTm_U7wZdw0cXR9V6I79u6XRyLVA_JF6muRUTPrs0tuoaOC7hChIM8gCgw4nT2DUKSEcT9aKnC7JR9dnr-HjysZaN-2xHLP48ZVP2Mk6kcaAcKB8JBF1IsrsUyUZaT02XIgH66mDswoqZw=w985-h867-no

Agreed. Nice composition, simple subject, lots of nice patterns and lines. Subtle colour too.

You have converging verticals, you are dismissed from architect school!! :)

I like the ladder effect on the right.

Nice perspective David, another dizzy enhancing image :D

Tall
I'm liking the green tones on the windows. Good pov and composition.

Back