weekly d00d's 52s in 2021 > Week 11 ~ Smooth

Google tells me 88 Wood Lane is the 44th highest building in London.

It's all been said about the image but i'll reiterate that the colours in the windows are really nicely captured.

It certainly goes on and on!! Great reflections and tonal quality. Do you know roughly what floor the image starts at, was there any opportunities to get lower by putting the camera on the ground?

It's all been said about the image but i'll reiterate that the colours in the windows are really nicely captured.
Thanks Jim

It certainly goes on and on!! Great reflections and tonal quality. Do you know roughly what floor the image starts at, was there any opportunities to get lower by putting the camera on the ground?
Thanks Stuart

... starting at second or third floor, any lower down and you'll capture lampposts, a glass canopy over the entrance and - at groundlevel - lord knows what: people, cars. This was taken with a WA lens.

Last edited:
The square crop works really nicely, and I like the way the colour is understated. The reflections of itself in itself (does that make sense? :ROFLMAO:) add interest too.

Great composition. Very nicely framed.
The square crop works really nicely, and I like the way the colour is understated. The reflections of itself in itself (does that make sense? :ROFLMAO:) add interest too.

Thanks guys ... It was a 4x3 landscape but there's a big slice of sky cropped off RHS, just thought I'd bring the structure into that corner.

Really nice architectural shot can’t disagree with the colour comments very good indeed David

Like this a lot David, does exactly what it says on the tin.
I like the colour tones and it's graphical look too. The only thing I would add is to maybe rotate it slightly just so as the building corner is coming out of the bottom left hand corner of the frame.
That's being picky, it's fantastic as is, good work.

Like this a lot David, does exactly what it says on the tin.
I like the colour tones and it's graphical look too. The only thing I would add is to maybe rotate it slightly just so as the building corner is coming out of the bottom left hand corner of the frame.
That's being picky, it's fantastic as is, good work.
Thanks Iain. I have tried rotating it slightly as you suggest but that seems to make a huge different to the FG, losing lots, and I'm not sure. But interesting idea.

Wow! Great perspective and nicely shot.
Wow! thank you David.

I love the muted colours in this and the pov picking up the reflections. Great shot.

Week 5 - Snappers Choice

Three aspects I'm currently into: different PoVs on architecture, street people, double-exposure-type layers.

I know it looks a mess.

Bush Hall shot taken today, street people from a couple of months ago.

ACtC-3d1ENKNQiSpCOGuzJFicdStm34yY-XGY6TOVYf6ook4DfQNSFKaKlzTINo9IfQqUvGB1QObO6FdN95QbnZlnmlBPkyDVFoll46bg5WFtHHqaOmgK0xr8fGUBedzqsHb1kbsX-c2Me3CdOi9VTezI37Rmg=w658-h869-no

Last edited:
Strangely, that's the first COVID related picture I've seen on here so far. I like the picture but from a personal point of view I would have preferred the picture to be straight, not angled, as straight it would, to me, have seemed a more newsworthy shot rather than a bit of avant-garde experimentation; however, I understand that newsworthy is probably not what you were going for. I like the poignant lack of 'live music and events' with the irony of the COVID masks. Keep going though, it interests me.

Like this:

Edit.jpg

I trust I don't offend by this little edit, just want to show what I mean. :)

Last edited:
Like Martin, I find the combination of the Covid masks and the lack of music events quite poignant. I think the almost solarised effect of the double exposure has almost hollowed out the venue.

I too would suggest a different crop, but in my case, I would go square, with the upper edge on a line sneaking between the top right of the middle window, and the column cornice on the right edge.

I know it looks a mess.

I quite like the composition and arrangement. Not so keen on the solarisation effect that Paul mentioned. I think it flattens all the tones in the image too much. But if that's what you were going for, I need to shut up.

Not sure on the angle its taken at, but nicely thought out photo with the masked passers-by.
Maybe a little more contrast to make it pop

Have to agree the building looks a little odd but it’s an interesting idea

Strangely, that's the first COVID related picture I've seen on here so far. I like the picture but from a personal point of view I would have preferred the picture to be straight, not angled, as straight it would, to me, have seemed a more newsworthy shot rather than a bit of avant-garde experimentation; however, I understand that newsworthy is probably not what you were going for. I like the poignant lack of 'live music and events' with the irony of the COVID masks. Keep going though, it interests me.

Like this:

View attachment 307811

I trust I don't offend by this little edit, just want to show what I mean. :)
Like Martin, I find the combination of the Covid masks and the lack of music events quite poignant. I think the almost solarised effect of the double exposure has almost hollowed out the venue.

I too would suggest a different crop, but in my case, I would go square, with the upper edge on a line sneaking between the top right of the middle window, and the column cornice on the right edge.

I quite like the composition and arrangement. Not so keen on the solarisation effect that Paul mentioned. I think it flattens all the tones in the image too much. But if that's what you were going for, I need to shut up.

Not sure on the angle its taken at, but nicely thought out photo with the masked passers-by.
Maybe a little more contrast to make it pop
Have to agree the building looks a little odd but it’s an interesting idea
Thanks all for your comments, interesting ... yes the building does look odd, the angle then further PP distortion is OTT. And yes the whole thing is flat.

So this has taught me what I should have known already: merge two flat pics and it gives you one flat pic. They need to be contrasting.

Here's one that works well IMO ....
one colour, OOF, bokeh, leading lines, depth.
one mono & flat.

ACtC-3d7lEdwEaNMw9tfpMBvR-6JxntY6tlVS_e7MzjJRLKxzI0yFGiiLLJ8wnrU7nQ55fNpFfQEgcLiHTl956vQATiHtO47PVHLTUoeZOoeWlZaAwgMZ6bN-QzempCp9Pda3Rc78V9hInLvONi4JQi0e_MdEA=w677-h604-no

Last edited:
A really interesting concept to use and great social commentary. Keep them coming - it makes an interesting addition to the 52.

A really interesting concept to use and great social commentary. Keep them coming - it makes an interesting addition to the 52.
Thank you Helen.

You ain't seen nothing yet :D

Tall - very tall indeed I too I really like the colours.
Snappers Choice - Cleverly merged and very topical.

I quite like the idea of the first snappers choice but I'd have to agree that a straight building shot would be better (for me at least). The second one you've posted works well, the double exposure on both is a good idea too.

I like the idea here (and I love the venue.... hope it survives!), I'd be interested to see how it develops.

Nice one (two) d00d, I remember having good fun merging images ages ago ...I’ve forgotten how to do it now :oops: :$
Thanks susie.

You mean I have to explain it again!

Tall - very tall indeed I too I really like the colours.
Snappers Choice - Cleverly merged and very topical.
Thanks Minx

I quite like the idea of the first snappers choice but I'd have to agree that a straight building shot would be better (for me at least). The second one you've posted works well, the double exposure on both is a good idea too.
Thanks, yeah, I think tilt and overlays don't go together too well.

I like the idea here (and I love the venue.... hope it survives!), I'd be interested to see how it develops.
Thanks Nick

.... see how it develops? the venue or the photo play?

Choice
I don't mind the positioning of the building and quite like the faces.

That's definitely different, and not in a bad way. Really interesting concept and nicely presented - a tad more contrast would be nice, but it's a really interesting way to present a concept.

Week 6 - Pair

A pair of inflated marigolds, against a white BG that I turned pink, making for a retro feel. :ROFLMAO:

ACtC-3eUeqWOHzZU0pseWjdQCo9Szepa30N335Te8yZXC2YASmV_C6u8cpm-r-HCM9O9P3vaUHELnjaCfR6L97bJpG7LJi4lXPH5oQf44opRdyl_ZsOLIXy29rO7Lo1ZVDDb7WfcyV1jzt51sG00tQ_Aa8KIRg=w1085-h867-no

WOW talk about a bright vivid image, kinda takes me back to the 60's.. except marigolds didn't look quite like these then. I think you blew the right one up more than the left :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: . How did you get them to stay up or did you shoot them hanging down and then rotate the image?

Back