weekly d00d's 52s in 2021 > Week 11 ~ Smooth

Good work David, quick out the blocks with a bright, vivid, attention grabbing image. Bang on theme (y)

Nice complimenting colours. Bright bold subject matter.

I like the chopped off fingers too. I feel it adds balance to the image. Did you deliberately chop them off?

Snappers Choice
It does look a bit confusing, probably not helped by the angle. I like the concept of double exposures and your second image works well

Pair
The contrasting colours make it pop, maybe some contrasting liquid running down the gloves to top it off?

Nice complimenting colours. Bright bold subject matter.

I like the chopped off fingers too. I feel it adds balance to the image. Did you deliberately chop them off?
Confession time: Ian, you may have noticed when I first posted the 'Pair' the framing was different, squareish without chopped off fingers. I wasn't entirely happy so cropped it top & bottom. I'm happy now but as people had begun to reply I really should have posted the edit separately, but no one had commented on the framing as it was originally.

I'm glad you approve, I value your feedback.

Pair
A simple shot, but it has all of the elements for the theme. Nice bright colours.

Creative idea for the pairs shot. It certainly pops off the screen. My parents kitchen was that shade of yellow - along with bright orange and black so you're spot on for the retro feel.

Snappers Choice
It does look a bit confusing, probably not helped by the angle. I like the concept of double exposures and your second image works well

Pair
The contrasting colours make it pop, maybe some contrasting liquid running down the gloves to top it off?

Thanks Stuart.
Snappers Choice: is overly experimental, but I'm pleased you like the second image.
Pair: haha I glad I didn't try playing with liquid, it was difficult enough getting them to stay in place, getting an interesting angle, and having to top up with air every minute. However, Fairy Liquid is green, and I do believe green would be the colour to add.

Pair
A simple shot, but it has all of the elements for the theme. Nice bright colours.
Cheers Dom

Creative idea for the pairs shot. It certainly pops off the screen. My parents kitchen was that shade of yellow - along with bright orange and black so you're spot on for the retro feel.
And pink ... you can get "retro" pink kettles and toaster nowadays.

Thanks Helen

That's beautifully shot, the lighting and colours are great. I'd have been tempted not to crop the top of the fingers, but that's just a personal thing.

That's beautifully shot, the lighting and colours are great. I'd have been tempted not to crop the top of the fingers, but that's just a personal thing.
Thanks Nick. Marmite perhaps, a bit like a portrait with the top of the head missing (?)

Thanks Nick. Marmite perhaps, a bit like a portrait with the top of the head missing (?)

Maybe not as extreme as the portrait example, as this one more about the graphic than a human subject (in my head anyway, if that makes any sense?), but definitely along those lines.

Some people are entirely unbothered by it though. I do wonder if in my own case, the clipping actually grates on something in my psyche, or if I just think that it does because I've seen and heard it referred to as something we shouldn't do so many times over the years.... Nature or Nurture?

Maybe not as extreme as the portrait example, as this one more about the graphic than a human subject (in my head anyway, if that makes any sense?), but definitely along those lines.

Some people are entirely unbothered by it though. I do wonder if in my own case, the clipping actually grates on something in my psyche, or if I just think that it does because I've seen and heard it referred to as something we shouldn't do so many times over the years.... Nature or Nurture?

I like a tight crop. And in this case, I like the idea of landscape orientation with the vertical yellows & pinks. The palms looked rubbish, inflated, distorted. That amused me at the time, but then after cropping them heavily, I though the finger crop would balance it well.

"something we shouldn't do", guilty as charged.

week 7 - (depict) a Film .............. 70s cult B&W horror .......... I really could have done with a brand spanking new pencil.

ACtC-3djOmSRTHCHxnAHFDmaknYtoPYm0vR9slazEpSBp6xomv0TF5x1jo11xn4os2iFI8Gkgs5IWIcMSrqNFAHIV6eEllvAZ3K5y5gzPuxk6rrtEvu2kwjW4UuoP3G_5GJqW6Z4BLOccd0EYLYDCeV7R_lsqw=w1323-h867-no

Very good - got that straight away. Although it turns out there were also films called "Eraser" and "Rubber" - the latter about a rogue, killer tyre, in case you were wondering.

Great idea and really well composed converting to black and white was obviously the correct decision

Great bit of lateral thinking and great film depicted. It has to be black and white!

What a great take on David Lynch film.
Very good - got that straight away. Although it turns out there were also films called "Eraser" and "Rubber" - the latter about a rogue, killer tyre, in case you were wondering.
Great idea and really well composed converting to black and white was obviously the correct decision
Great bit of lateral thinking and great film depicted. It has to be black and white!
Thanks all. Yes the film is, of course, ERASERHEAD ... well done. This week I seem to have spent a lot of time dreaming up different ideas, then perhaps rushed the Eraserhead idea. I started with the pencil close to the wall to include a shadow (there are lots of shadows in the film) then somehow forgot to include it.

'The wrong end of a pencil'.... Love that movie! :ROFLMAO:

I like the lighting, and the composition works really well.

I actually thought of Eraser as well. Nice photo though, B&W works well.

Film
I'm another who thought Eraser.
Either way, it's a well lit shot and even though there's a lot of space on the left, it still seems too work really well.

'The wrong end of a pencil'.... Love that movie! :ROFLMAO:

I like the lighting, and the composition works really well.
:ROFLMAO:
I actually thought of Eraser as well. Nice photo though, B&W works well.
Film
I'm another who thought Eraser.
Either way, it's a well lit shot and even though there's a lot of space on the left, it still seems too work really well.
Great idea and superb execution. Had to be B&W too.
Super minimalist photo d00d, no idea what that film is but I really like the image.

Thanks all.

I didn't know there was a film call Eraser (OK google will tell you there's a film named after everything). Perhaps I could have done it slightly differently. Looking back at the entries, I really like the way some here have taken a promo image, or poster, and reproduced it.

Good work David.
I too thought 'Eraser' but I don't think it really matters, it's interesting people's interpretation of the images.
Black and white suits the subject matter, I particularly like the use of negative space.

Film title
Was assuming "eraser", the actual title is not one I'm familiar with. Is there any significance in the angle of the pencil or the empty space at the left, or are they just creative decisions when producing the image?

Good work David.
I too thought 'Eraser' but I don't think it really matters, it's interesting people's interpretation of the images.
Black and white suits the subject matter, I particularly like the use of negative space.
Thanks Iain

Film title
Was assuming "eraser", the actual title is not one I'm familiar with. Is there any significance in the angle of the pencil or the empty space at the left, or are they just creative decisions when producing the image?
Thanks Stuart
Purely creative ... :cool:

Back