Dad 50mm old new

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

A few months back I came across an article regarding an old lens and the bokeh that it produced. As it turns out I had one of these in a cupboard that I purchased some time ago when trying some reverse lens type thing. (bit vague as nothing came of it ) hence being thrown in the cupboard. I mean you wouldn't give this lens house room really, as it looks like it's been thrown around the backyard. It really is a battered piece of metal.
Anyways I took it out with me when I took my Dad out for a brew and a wander around the local nature walk. Most times I have my cheap 50mm on the camera as its lighter.
Very hard to focus with the Helios (was for me anyway) so not always spot on put for some reason the images still had something about them. To me anyway.

There a few here if anyone is interested.

Gaz

1 Helios

Dad_Nook_holga_lens_web.jpg

2 Canon 50 1.8

Dad_nook_50_1.8_web.jpg

Bokeh looks a bit like the 'doughnut' effect of the 500mm manual mirror lenses ... good photos of your dad though. :)

I prefer the pose in the first one, but the background rendering of the second one. Dad pops too in the first its just that background! I've never understood the fascination with the "bokeh balls" look, to me its naff. The oof rendering should be subtle and smooth, not in your face. When it gets to the stage of intruding on an image, or becomes the purpose of the image then its too much. If I had the helios I'd either consign it back to the cupboard or better still bin it ;) Dad looks great though :)

I'm loving the bokeh, but maybe not in this case :) The bokeh should compliment the subject, in my view.
Dad is looking good, especially in the first image.

good photos of your dad though. :)
Cheers.

I prefer the pose in the first one, but the background rendering of the second one. Dad pops too in the first its just that background! I've never understood the fascination with the "bokeh balls" look, to me its naff. The oof rendering should be subtle and smooth, not in your face. When it gets to the stage of intruding on an image, or becomes the purpose of the image then its too much. If I had the helios I'd either consign it back to the cupboard or better still bin it ;) Dad looks great though :)
Hi Paul. Yes it is a bit in your face here and agree Dad looks better in the first. The lens seems to give a sort of glowy effect on some photos, unless thats more to do with light than anything else. Looks quite retro ther again the thing is retro. I took a few of my Daughter with this too for a comparison, again hard to focus but bokeh looks much better when theres not to many pin holes of light. I'll attach some below.
I'm loving the bokeh, but maybe not in this case :) The bokeh should compliment the subject, in my view.
Dad is looking good, especially in the first image.
Cheers Ken. I get where your coming from. Thanks regarding Dad :)

Gaz

Old lens.

IMG_3814kirsty_old_lens.jpg

Canon 50 mm 1.8
IMG_3828.jpg

Old lens
bike_web.jpg

Old lens
web.jpg

Well I I think thats quite enough of those but any thoughts on the look of the lens would be interesting to know.

Gaz

1 and 4 for me, with no1 looking very good.

A proud Dad :)

If you're looking for a "softer" lens the the Helios looks to be the winner, if however you want something sharp it looks like the newer lens wins, horses for courses I guess.
Matt

1 and 4 for me, with no1 looking very good.

A proud Dad :)
Thanks Ken
If you're looking for a "softer" lens the the Helios looks to be the winner, if however you want something sharp it looks like the newer lens wins, horses for courses I guess.
Matt
Hi Matt. Yes as you say depends what feel you want to.go for. I am so used to seeing sharpness in images it felt wrong to like the fuzzy feel to these.

Gaz

I had a Yashica 124 film camera, produced lovely photos, shouldn't have sold it, they were just a little soft, great for portrait work when ultimate sharpness wasn't required.

Back