Dad (now including Mother)

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I will admit I haven't been taking a lot of photos recently. However I felt a little inspired to take one of my dad (not looking bad for 84). Always happy to hear any observations from people, good or bad. Simple setup that a Mr Hurley might recognise somewhat, two small strip boxes main at 1/4, fill at 1/32 IIRC up nice and close to each side at approx 45 degree, so no bad reflection from the glasses in shot.

Last edited:
Hi James. Liking the photo of your Dad. He seems a natural for the camera a good natural connection with the viewer. My Dad is very much the same. I wonder how that is sometimes as some people don't have to to do anything but look into the camera and you get a great image.
Thanks for sharing.

Gaz

ps: I might be missing the obvious but what is IIRC ?
PPs: I just Googled it (If I Recall/Remember Correctly) Correct ?

Sorry for the shorthand. Yes, If I Recall Correctly. And I think it annoys my mother, that he "always looks good in a picture". I think a lot of that is how comfortable people feel in front of the lens, and he is always happy to have a picture taken.

Sorry for the shorthand. Yes, If I Recall Correctly. And I think it annoys my mother, that he "always looks good in a picture". I think a lot of that is how comfortable people feel in front of the lens, and he is always happy to have a picture taken.
No it's my bad. I assume I am a way bit older than yourself so takes me a while to work them out :) Yes my Dad is also most happy to have his photo taken. It's a good job he his at ease with the camera really,as I'm pretty pants at direction :)

Gaz

I like this a lot James, a simple no nonsense portrait of your Dad who doesn't look anywhere near 84!

Thanks for the kind comments. I hope I look as well when I'm his age (half way there).

Lovely shot. Maybe just the slightest touch more on the fill (1/16) just to get the top right of his head. I think the shadow line moving forward or back would improve that top right curve?

The expression is brilliant, and the photo just makes me want to have a conversation with him.

@gremlin16 he has so many stories.

Maybe the fill on the right could have been slightly higher too? I was actually over taking a few Christmas pictures of my niece, and talked my parents into a quick couple when I was there too.

I though about creating a new thread, but then thought they have lived together a long time, they should be together here too

Last edited:
Its a little soft to be brutal James ( my pet hate) :D

I had a play in Photoshop, hope you don't mind? Smart sharpened & adjusted the curves a tad

hoKkSLU.jpg

Les ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the full size isn't soft, but I'll agree the resize wasn't the best. As my profile says, I'm happy to have images edited too.

Maybe one of these years I'll try Photoshop again...

Thanks for having a play, I've often wondered how some of my pictures would look if edited by others, you know, if I reject images that others wouldn't. Or I'm not making the most of their potential.

always worth a play in Photoshop, as opposed to rejecting border line images

Les :)

Hiya back again. I saw this yesterday and immediately thought that the lighting was very soft eg : less shadows pores/wrinkles visable so assumed that you had altered the lighting power or placement on purpose with that in mind.
Did you ? Only ask as my Mum would deffo not sit for me but I have thought what would be the most flattering light for a lady of this age.
I do like the image but I think it needed to show a bit of texture.

Gaz

@cargo yes the lighting was altered as you are right I was aiming for something more flattering (although they were taken in reversed order). I do agree with other comments that I could probably have boosted the contrast here a bit too. It was actually taken as a quick setup shot, as my niece has even less patience than my mother :)

I will most likely have a bit more of a look at it over time, as I often do and see what changes feel appropriate.

Back