Daddy Long Legs (Test Shots)

Nice shots George and no disrespect intended but are you sure this is a Daddy Long Legs ?
Or is there more than one type of Daddy Long Legs

my shot below is I'm fairly definite a Daddy Long Legs

Daddy long legs 5 (Crane fly)wtmk by tp.man500, on Flickr

Thanks for that Tony, much appreciated comment.(y)

No I'm not sure it's a Daddy Long Legs, I tried to match it up to some shots I found on a site on the net and this was the closest I could get to an ID. So you may well be correct.

George.

I stand corrected, my apologies
just Google'd it and yes your right yours is a Daddy Long legs as well ......... durrrrrh :rolleyes:

No apologies necessary Tony, I'm not very good at IDs so I appreciate any help I can get.:)

George.

You are both right it's not a crane fly daddy long legs...

It's a cellar spider or daddy long-legs spider.... lol Pholcidae

Excellent shots last one on the blue side but these are again notoriously hard to shoot. :)

Last edited:
There are three types of creature that carry the common name "Daddy long legs." This spider, the crane fly and also a type of harvestman.

Great shots George of this lovely little spider. Sadly the rumour that these are the most venomous spider in the world seems not to be true.

There are three types of creature that carry the common name "Daddy long legs." This spider, the crane fly and also a type of harvestman.

Great shots George of this lovely little spider. Sadly the rumour that these are the most venomous spider in the world seems not to be true.

Thanks for that Tim, appreciate your comments.(y)

If you'd told me about the thing possibly being venomous before I'd taken the shots then they might not have been taken.:D:D

George.

Thanks for that Tim, appreciate your comments.(y)

If you'd told me about the thing possibly being venomous before I'd taken the shots then they might not have been taken.:D:D

George.
Ha ha! Don't worry they are harmless. The myth arose because they have been observed taking down things like Black Widows, so the theory was they must have a more powerful venom. The reason no people have been harmed by them, so the theory went, was that their fangs weren't long enough to penetrate human skin.

Subsequently, both these ideas have been proved false. They are able to bite humans, but it only has a mild effect and they are able to take down larger, more venomous spiders through casting a net of webbing to disable the spider, wrapping it up tight and only then going in for the kill. I imagine their longer legs are a great help here...

Jump to about 33:20 ;)

Last edited:
My grandad and therefore our whole family used to call crane flys 'cleggies'

so, these are some good cleggy photos :)

My grandad and therefore our whole family used to call crane flys 'cleggies'

so, these are some good cleggy photos :)

Thanks for that D, appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Back