Damascus steel Blade

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
this is the blade close up of one of my Damascus knife blades...you can see the unusual metal structure from the forging...i only wish I could afford to buy more..

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/kneetrembler67/Knives/DSCF7032.jpg

And from a distance
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/kneetrembler67/Knives/DSCF7160.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules. Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff Barry. Your sharpening effect is good.

Which lens did you use for this shot.

I used my Old tamron SP 90 manual focus lens...the pic is and old one..I just wanted to show the strange metal structure of the blade after 512 layers of steel have been hammered and forged as one solid piece...by the way the lens I have of you is great ..
thanks

An interesting photo. The round parts of the pattern have been made by drilling holes in the steel and then forging flat, which brings the bottom of the hole up to the surface and exposes the different layers of steel.

Mick.

An interesting photo. The round parts of the pattern have been made by drilling holes in the steel and then forging flat, which brings the bottom of the hole up to the surface and exposes the different layers of steel.

Mick.
from what I have learned from watching them make them ...they heat the metal up fold it and hammer it and keep repeating the proses over and over again...I wish I had the funds to buy more but sadly there all hand made and very exspensive

from what I have learned from watching them make them ...they heat the metal up fold it and hammer it and keep repeating the proses over and over again...I wish I had the funds to buy more but sadly there all hand made and very exspensive

That's pretty much it, comes from the folding, the lines are actually different folds. I love Japanese swords, they are so beautiful http://www.thekeeneredge.com/images/bushi_hada.jpg I really want to get my hands on a hanwei sword by Paul Chen, one of his premium ones :love:

Last edited by a moderator:
The lines in the pattern are not from different folds, but from different layers. The way this steel is made is from two different types of steel. The first bundle of steel will have, lets say 8 layers. 4 of one type of steel and 4 of another. These are stacked up so the layers alternate. This first bundle is forge welded together, so it one solid block of steel with 8 layers. This will then be forged out longer and cut part the way through, then folded back on itself and rewelded. So you now have 16 layers. This process will continue until you have the desired amount of layers. 8-16-32-64-128-256-512, each time the layers double.
The pattern will only become visible when the steel is etched in acid, as one type of steel will be etched away more than the other.

Mick.

The lines in the pattern are not from different folds, but from different layers. The way this steel is made is from two different types of steel. The first bundle of steel will have, lets say 8 layers. 4 of one type of steel and 4 of another. These are stacked up so the layers alternate. This first bundle is forge welded together, so it one solid block of steel with 8 layers. This will then be forged out longer and cut part the way through, then folded back on itself and rewelded. So you now have 16 layers. This process will continue until you have the desired amount of layers. 8-16-32-64-128-256-512, each time the layers double.
The pattern will only become visible when the steel is etched in acid, as one type of steel will be etched away more than the other.

Mick.
Well put Mick....I no most are modern..not sure about all of them as I got them used.....I will get a round to sorting them all out one day along with the Nepalese Khukuris

Mick.

Damascus steel pattern does seem to differ from the Japanese swords. The patterning in Japanese is known as 'hada' which is caused by the folding of the metal during the forging process. If you would like to learn more about it have a look at this http://token.cz/external/meiboku/guide/form/hada/index.htm it is rather interesting. Not that I know a lot about Damascus knife blades.

Last edited:
Beautiful patterns.

It brought back some memories for me. I did jewelry at Sunderland Poly (years ago) as part of an Art Foundation Course and one of the girls spent 6 weeks making a brooch which was layers of silver, copper etc. pressed, folded, heated, over and over. It had that wonderful marbled pattern. I often wonder if she carried on with the trade.

wow they look cool, how much are these things?

I fell lucky with mine and got them as a jub lot for just over £400 but you can expect to pay at least that each as they can take weeks to make by very skilled workers...
I dont no if it true but I was informed that the one with the Lion caved in the handle was carved from a Lions Tooth...

Loopy, it sounds like you friend at college was making Mokume. Its a similar process but uses non ferrous metals.

All the knives shown above are called Damascus Steel, but strictly speaking the are Pattern Welded blades. This technology dates back to the Roman times, and probably before. One of the best known examples of pattern welding found in this country is the Sutton Hoo Sword which dates back to Anglo-Saxon times, and was buried with its owner around 645 AD.

Here are a few more recent examples of pattern welding,

bladefuller.jpg

aDSC_8166.jpg

_DSC7448.jpg

damascusring.jpg

aDSC_5955-copy.jpg

All the pieces shown above have been made by me.

Mick.

Loopy, it sounds like you friend at college was making Mokume. Its a similar process but uses non ferrous metals.

All the knives shown above are called Damascus Steel, but strictly speaking the are Pattern Welded blades. This technology dates back to the Roman times, and probably before. One of the best known examples of pattern welding found in this country is the Sutton Hoo Sword which dates back to Anglo-Saxon times, and was buried with its owner around 645 AD.

bladefuller.jpg

aDSC_8166.jpg

_DSC7448.jpg

damascusring.jpg

aDSC_5955-copy.jpg

Mick.

Stunning stuff, how much does a ring like that cost?

bladefuller.jpg

aDSC_8166.jpg

_DSC7448.jpg

damascusring.jpg

aDSC_5955-copy.jpg

Mick.
Thats one stunning looking knife....It just goes to show theres still some real crafts men left out there

Lee, the ring was made for myself as an experiment with a different type of pattern welding. I don't make these to order as I find making things to fit people is a whole world of pain.
Try looking at these sites for damascus rings www.sarami.nu and www.jloose.com
A couple of people I know have had rings made by J Loose are are really pleased with them.

Mick.

Last edited:
Back