Beginner Damselflies (+female photo)

Nice finds and these are lovely demoisells and imo so much better looking than the other damselflies although I cant complain if I find them as well.
imo, for bugs and the like, put your aperture to min f9 max f11 if you can.

The second set are looking sharper than the first but they all are suffering from similar problems - the messy backgrounds which are fighting for attention. I love shooting damsels and dragons in the summer and always wait for them to perch against a plain background like these. It may mean waiting around for a bit but well worthwhile in my opinion

stan

Nice finds and these are lovely demoisells and imo so much better looking than the other damselflies although I cant complain if I find them as well.
imo, for bugs and the like, put your aperture to min f9 max f11 if you can.
Unfortunately, my bridge aperture range is very limited.
The second set are looking sharper than the first but they all are suffering from similar problems - the messy backgrounds which are fighting for attention. I love shooting damsels and dragons in the summer and always wait for them to perch against a plain background like these. It may mean waiting around for a bit but well worthwhile in my opinion

stan
These are pretty much taken while going walking. I don't hang around much haha. I'll have a go following some one day this week as there are all over the river here.

Found a female!
damselfly180517green by Ben Gray, on Flickr

The male banded have the darker patch that doesn't reach the end of the wing, is that right?
Yes, correct. These are Banded Demoiselles (or Calopteryx splendens in scientific terms). The males are the blue ones and the females green.

Back