Dance School photoshoot

Edit My Images
No
A huge job I undertake every year is my sisters dance school. I think the parents can get a bit fed up with the plain white background dance pose shots (although i still do these and they sell steady)
Just a few from a ten hour shoot: let me know what you think.

12647063_941560805928539_7252657673536233807_n.jpg

12650879_941561335928486_2854306921083340332_n.jpg

12645194_941106179307335_704958654364870592_n.jpg

12473674_940658752685411_2073140131167353104_o.jpg

12694818_940658379352115_4309646156804103104_o.jpg

Last edited:
Is it really that necessary to copy right the pictures here on this forum? So ugly and distracting from your great pictures.
I'm always saying that. There's so many pictures ruined by watermarks on here. The images in this thread are good but I don't see why so many people post their first ever studio attempts with watermarks all over them. Perhaps they've just seen others doing it.

No problem with watermarks here .. Mines worse than yours :)

Great Hogwarts pictures .......with the smoke ... very good..

Watermarks are essential. This forum can be found on Google I think so pictures could be pinched. If you can't see past the watermark. . .
Photographers are losing their livelihoods because people don't watermark pictures and they get ripped off and used without payment.

Last edited:
Sorry to be devils advocate - you have heavily watermarked your images, but if that's the Hogwarts logo, aren't you infringing copyright too?

That said, I really like the images, and the use of light painting really enhances your work.

Watermarks are essential. This forum can be found on Google I think so pictures could be pinched. If you can't see past the watermark. . .
Photographers are losing their livelihoods because people don't watermark pictures and they get ripped off and used without payment.

Really?You'd have to be EXTREMELY specific to find these forum specific photos on Google! If it was uploaded from your desktop with no link to your business i can't see how it would really impact on your pocket. Not the odd photo anyway. Just common sence.
I tried to google these images on this forum thats connected to his business - ZERO results.
Yes they are essential on a business website. Just don't link them

Last edited:
wow, this is going way off topic. No wonder some people are hesitant to post pics. I've removed the pics since they are clearly offending some of you in some way.
To anyone who was positively constructive, thanks for your feedback.

wow, this is going way off topic. No wonder some people are hesitant to post pics. I've removed the pics since they are clearly offending some of you in some way.
To anyone who was positively constructive, thanks for your feedback.
Indeed, I was to late to see, but reading this all is not one of the finer moment. A shame.

Indeed, I was to late to see, but reading this all is not one of the finer moment. A shame.
Whilst that might appear to be the case...
Unfortunately the OP here did actually get positive feedback for his images.

However, he also started a thread with a question about protecting his copyright whilst simultaneously breaching someone else's :( (presumably - and as he hasn't responded, we can guess that's the case).

There's no surprise it went the way it did.

There are times I shake my head at the pack mentality or negative comments on here but this isn't one of them.
Three or four watermarks on each photo to protect your work is a bit much when putting them up for crit but to "borrow" someone else's creative work at the same time to enhance your work is just double standards.
Shame tho, some nice shots and I think no one would have mentioned the Harry Potter thing if it wasn't for all the watermarks and his comments on folk stealing his work

Indeed, I was to late to see, .

And me... disappointed that it got so derailed too. There's an old thread somewhere about the watermark debate somewhere... a good discussion if I remember correctly.

@Bhoy_Whunder - I'd love to see your photos. What is your facebook page? Feel free to PM me the link if you'd rather not post it here.

Whilst that might appear to be the case...
Unfortunately the OP here did actually get positive feedback for his images.

However, he also started a thread with a question about protecting his copyright whilst simultaneously breaching someone else's :( (presumably - and as he hasn't responded, we can guess that's the case).

There's no surprise it went the way it did.
Unfortunately those parts are no longer to see, and what's left doesn't look pretty. Now here is a forum enhancement suggestion. ;)

How sad. Another case of teddy throwing photograph deletion. :(

Hmmm, well, the two Hogwarts pictures are lovely; but I do see now why all the hoohaa in posts above.

Heavyweight copyright logo emblazoned multiple times over images which themselves are a massive copyright infringement.
I suspect Warner Bros wouldn't be too chuffed.

Good thing im thick skinned. Having admin going into the bb code history off their own back to retrieve a deleted post is not cool by any stretch.

Good thing im thick skinned. Having admin going into the bb code history off their own back to retrieve a deleted post is not cool by any stretch.

We take a rather dim view of disruptive post editing, and generally revert the edits to their original status when either reported, or noticed by a passing moderator. That's what happened here. Please do NOT re-edit the post again. Also, if you've any issues with the moderation of this forum, use the "contact us" option to register your complaints, not a open thread - if you complain in an open thread, you'll get your reply in a open thread, and it may reflect badly upon you...

I'll just refer you to a couple of excerpts from the forum rules you agreed to when you joined the forum

The wordy legal bit (otherwise known as small print)
This page and subsequent pages form the Terms and Conditions ("Rules") of accessing any part of this website ("The Site", "TP", "Talk Photography", "The Forums", "us", "we", "our"). By registering and/or using the Site, you agree to these Terms and Conditions.

All our rules apply to any content created by you ("Content") and submitted to Talk Photography ("posted") either directly or indirectly. "Content" includes, but is not limited to :

• Registrations, usernames, forum threads and posts, private messages, signatures, profile data, events, photographs or any other information created via our website or associated services (for example, our Facebook page).

You agree that by submitting content to Talk Photography, either via the website, email or any other method, that you grant Slack Media Limited and/or its agents non-exclusive, irrevocable permission to store, reproduce, backup and/or re-present in public, worldwide, via any media, and/or modify (for editorial purposes only) that content. You retain copyright to that content.

All photographs submitted to Talk Photography will remain copyright of their respective author. However, when you submit a photograph to Talk Photography for an event, competition or such activity, you grant Slack Media Limited and/or its agents irrevocable permission to store, reproduce, backup and/or represent in public, worldwide, via any media, and/or modify (for editorial or aesthetic/display purposes only) that content, but only relative to the event to which it was submitted.

And this one...

Conduct and behaviour
  • Don't swear. Don't be offensive. Be polite. Don't bore everyone with drivel. Don't moan about moderation.
  • Post in English.
  • If you think someone needs to be reminded of the rules, report it to the mods and leave them to deal with it. If you retaliate then you'll be treated the same, regardless of who started it.
  • If a moderator posts with an instruction, don't ignore it.
  • Teensy bit rude? Shouldn't be viewed by kids or anyone at work, use the "NSFW" thread prefix.

So, next question - how much did it cost for the licence to use the Harry Potter and Hogwarts logo's on your pictures ?

Last edited:
Got to say I love the photos, really nice. Without knowing the deals in place to use the Harry Potter material I don't think it is wise either way to comment on it.

Without knowing the deals in place to use the Harry Potter material I don't think it is wise either way to comment on it.

Quite - which is WHY i've asked about the relative cost of licensing the overlays... I'm sure a number of members would be interested in this...

Now I can see the images I have to say I love the bubble and Harry Potter ones. Watermarks don't normally bother me but I do find these a little distracting and for me spoil the images why not just use one.

I'm not going to comment on the logos.

It seems that is necessary to avidly protect ones own copyright, while ignoring other peoples.

I may be mistaken - but if the OP copyrights images with the Harry Potter copyright overlay on them, is he claiming he owns the Harry Potter logo, by copyrighting images that contain same??

I'm confused .com

Les :confused:

I may be mistaken - but if the OP copyrights images with the Harry Potter copyright overlay on them, is he claiming he owns the Harry Potter logo, by copyrighting images that contain same??

I'm confused .com

Les :confused:

No.

Rather than copyright infringement would this not be a case of Trademark infringement for the Harry Potter logo?

As a side note you can get a font called Harry P which is an identical ttf.
Would hqve been easier to use that instead :D
See below for font in question
Screenshot_2016-02-11-14-02-18.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back