Wild Dancing Common Pochard

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

In the very harsh midday Sun,
possibly celebrating life itself!

A2023%201Dppp.jpg

A2029%201Dppp.jpg

A2036%201Dppp.jpg

A2037%201Dppp.jpg

Last edited:
The harsh light has made this a difficult exercise and the result is really heavy contrast and blown highlights, apart from that I like #3 best.
Ducks & Geese do enjoy a lively wash session! :D

We have a saying Daniel only mad dogs and english men go out on the midday sun,maybe togs should feature too :D No 3 for me as well buddy

Those highlights are playing hell with me though. Daniel I love your openess to explore:cool:,I'm not terribly struck by the results,for the most part,but feel they aren't your end game... You know what you are about, know that more diffused light will get you better results know sensors have only a "given" dynamic range. So your shooting persistantly in light that is known to be of high contrast.....your experiments ...is trying to find something out. what is that exactly,is it about finding boundaries?? is it about wanting to shoot when it's just lovely and warn,yaknow just that time of day when maybe it's a bit hot,but one can't help but feel lucky to be alive,so that feeling extends to ones pleasure in life ie making images. Buddy i'm trying to work out what exactly you are digging for. I'm not great with my country's language,and it's not your first tongue,so I hope you understand ,Basically i'm curious.:)

take care kiddo

Stu

pochards are super birds to shoot and for me their main attraction is the super red eye so 3 is the pick of the bunch. Not keen on 2 - birds rarely work when facing away from you

Stan

birds rarely work when facing away from you

Thanks for the comment! :)
… but its the better view of their plumage!

Yes Daniel, they are better (not blown) but still very harsh/dark colours ... for me the Coot images are the best of the three. :)
Daniel I feel exactly the same as roger above, my preference being the 1st coot image.:) They are well taken to my learner eye Daniel,but they don't really do it for me personally.. There are many factors that make an image appeal to me in a "waterbird image" not just exposure or light,lower pov/water suface/ BKG as examples. These are personal things though Daniel that I desire and try to achieve with my own images(the key word being try) ,these are not really critique points,because I think you can achieve all this,but are trying to "find" something else,hence my curiosity.;)

take care mate:)

stu

…error

Last edited:
No3 has the edge for me too- lovely capture

Les

… but its the better view of their plumage!

I agree that the plumage looks better from that angle, but ideally it can be achieved with a head position that shows the eye if possible.

For example:
Egyptian Goose by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

You are also suffering from harsh light but you already know that :)

#3 is the image from the bunch that stands out to me - the catch light in the eye and pose make it stand out above the others.

Dave.

Last edited:
but ideally

You're right Dave, but at the marsh, contrary to any
other shooting situations, I control nothing but the
instant of trigger… lucky for me, the wind was very
mild and this guy was turning on itself!

Position: I cannot move around as the terrain is too
muddy and my left knee would never forgive me…
not to mention the restrictions to access the marsh!

Wind: the dominant winds will make the birds face it.
Moreover, there is no low grass area like in your cool
take.

I really have to do for the best in uncontrollable and
often adverse conditions… but I like the time I spend
to relax there.

Back