Dandruff on or off?

Personally I'd take it off ,
can't see it adds anything to the image, only detracts.

Depends on the use. As a document? It's fantastic. As an ad for head and shoulders? Not so much! XD

I was considering entering it in a club competition, "people studies" I have had a go at taking the dandruff off with the spot healing tool , but there is so much and it leaves an obvious editing mark , can anyone recommend a better way than spot healing?

man.jpgHave you got Photoshop? If so its a five minute job to improve the dandruff

Last edited:
Yes I have dcash29 , would you mind telling me the workflow in Photoshop please?

Open the image in PS, duplicate image layer, on that layer go to filter, noise, dust & scratches, set radius to 4 and threshold to 30, click ok. Add layer mask hide all.
Using a white paint brush at 100% paint out the dandruff. Then its up to you, sharpen if you feel its necessary.

Hope it helps.

IMO, the easiest/best way to fix this is going to be using the paint brush. Create a new layer above set to "darker color" and paint over the dandruf with a medium gray sampled from the coat.

Edit, well damn, I was wrong... a couple of noise filter layers with different settings looks better/easier.

Last edited:
Thanks dash29 , just tried that looks much better than healing , cheers!

I'd have left it alone myself. I'm not a fan of airbrushing out reality. At the end of the day it's your choice.

Back