South-West England Dartmoor, by road

Edit My Images
No
Booked a week away in Dartmoor and now I've carelessly injured my hip, been told to use crutches for a couple of weeks. I'd still like to get some nice landscapes but my walking distance is rather limited at the moment. Any recommendations of nice views I can basically drive (well, technically be driven) to would be much appreciated. TIA.

Hay Tor is well viewed from the road (or, perhaps more importantly, the car parks!) and so are many of the other tors. One of my favourite spots on the Moor is Huccaby Bridge (aka Hexworthy) which has a handy car parking area close to the river.

TBH, get Google Earth up on your screen and have a virtual mooch around the moor to see which views grab you.

Oh, and I can recommend the café at Ullacombe Farm for lunch - just beside the road heading down to Bovey Tracey from Hay Tor. The Plume of Feathers is a good place for lunch too - in the middle of Princetown.

Ten Commandments Rocks at Buckland Beacon is about 1/2 mile each way but flat and easy enough even with crutches.
Hay tor Quarry should be possible if you follow the granite railway line.
Bellever tor may be possible there's a cutting come car park between Powdermills and Postbridge which leads up through the forrest, if you can navigate the path between the car park and the forest the rest will be do-able.
Postbridge and Dartmeet (Badgers holt) both have parking and are close to the road for Clapper bridges. Powdermills may offer some nice images.
Brent tor Church outside Tavistock may be a challenge but with a little time and effort you may be able to pick a gentle route up the hill.
Buckland-in-the-Moor offers an interesting church clock and just down the road some image worthy thatched cottages which can be viewed from the roadside.
The Rugglestone Inn outside Widecombe is my tip for best meal on Dartmoor.

Bellever (Postbridge and take the little road south down the edge of the forest) is a much nicer clapper bridge than Dartmeet which is almost hidden by trees and will probably be hoaching in grockles. The car park on what I've always called Barn Hill but is actually Pork Hill (I think - it's the big one at the top of the hill above Tavistock on the Two Bridges road) is below Cox Tor and the Staples, and the other way you're looking down over Vixen Tor (which you can't go to with or without crutches). And get yourself up on what used to be the military 'ring road' above Okehampton. You can still drive a few miles down the east side but you do get in amongst it there. Consider High Down (turn east up a little hidden track opposite the garage (I think) in the bit of Lydford on the Sourton to Tavistock road). It's a bit of a hike from the car park but it's a good track. You used to be able to drive it but you can't now. The Lyd is lovely there - river, ford, stepping stones and clam (wooden bridge) and you're right below Brai Tor with Widgery's cross on top, which is west facing. I wouldn't necessarily advise going off a good path on crutches but only you know how confident you are on them. I guess you wouldn't want to trip over a rock and make things worse. Meldon reservoir has a car park next to it. It's just a short walk down the road then you can get out onto the dam. Fernworthy also has a car park. Take change for parking as Fernworthy c/p which is SW Water and some of the grockle honeypot car parks change and there's no phone app payment (no signal in most places). Don't be tempted to avoid walking by parking in gateways etc - please. I used to live at Haytor and it was a never ending battle to keep our access clear. Nearby but off the moor itself there's Tottiford and Trenchford reservoirs. They're adjoining and linked with a car park in the southern corner of Tottiford which is probably the best for the view. There's things sticking out into the water (not sure what they are) which made lovely photos till a few years ago they stuck block walling and fencing around them, but you can still get good angles on them.

Thanks for the replies everyone, think I've worked out a few routes that will take in some nice views without straining anything.

Hay Tor is well viewed from the road (or, perhaps more importantly, the car parks!) and so are many of the other tors. One of my favourite spots on the Moor is Huccaby Bridge (aka Hexworthy) which has a handy car parking area close to the river.

TBH, get Google Earth up on your screen and have a virtual mooch around the moor to see which views grab you.

Oh, and I can recommend the café at Ullacombe Farm for lunch - just beside the road heading down to Bovey Tracey from Hay Tor. The Plume of Feathers is a good place for lunch too - in the middle of Princetown.
Took your advice on Plume of Feathers, it was very good.

I wasn't expecting so many little car park areas near beautiful scenes. This is a rough edit of a photo I took from one, and it may be one of the better landscapes I've ever taken:

25rougheditshare.jpg

Not sure where you're coming from, but if you take the A30 from Shaftesbury, it's a really nice drive through the country (just ignore Yeovil).

Many years ago I dd the Ten Tors walk, looks much nicer to be there for photography purposes.
Recall seeing the prison in the mist, very eerie and grim looking on that day

Last edited:
Took your advice on Plume of Feathers, it was very good.

I wasn't expecting so many little car park areas near beautiful scenes. This is a rough edit of a photo I took from one, and it may be one of the better landscapes I've ever taken:

View attachment 257295

Glad you enjoyed the Plume and found plenty of easy park and shoot places. As Janny says, lovely light you caught.

Many years ago I dd the Ten Tors walk, looks much nicer to be there for photography purposes.
Recall seeing the prison in the mist, very eerie and grim looking on that day

It looks eerie and grim when it's bathed in glorious sunshine! Even worse from inside the walls, I'm told.

Ten Commandments Rocks at Buckland Beacon is about 1/2 mile each way but flat and easy enough even with crutches.
Hay tor Quarry should be possible if you follow the granite railway line.
Bellever tor may be possible there's a cutting come car park between Powdermills and Postbridge which leads up through the forrest, if you can navigate the path between the car park and the forest the rest will be do-able.
Postbridge and Dartmeet (Badgers holt) both have parking and are close to the road for Clapper bridges. Powdermills may offer some nice images.
Brent tor Church outside Tavistock may be a challenge but with a little time and effort you may be able to pick a gentle route up the hill.
Buckland-in-the-Moor offers an interesting church clock and just down the road some image worthy thatched cottages which can be viewed from the roadside.
The Rugglestone Inn outside Widecombe is my tip for best meal on Dartmoor.
Went to Rugglestone Inn yesterday, possibly the best camembert I've ever had.

Another rough process, I'm not usually lucky with reflections - I get there and find the water too unsettled - but got one on Burrator Reservoir, I believe.

35rougheditupload-3.jpg

Went to Rugglestone Inn yesterday, possibly the best camembert I've ever had.

Another rough process, I'm not usually lucky with reflections - I get there and find the water too unsettled - but got one on Burrator Reservoir, I believe.

I like............. I like that a lot............. oh and did I say I really like that? :):) Could only be bettered by the boom not being there but not a lot you can do about that. Lovely autumnal colour.
I've never actually stopped to take photos at Burrator. Very occasionally I go to Norsworthy Bridge at the far end to start a walk but by the time I leave it's too late in the day to stop at the dam for photos. It's a 2hr plus drive each way for me now so I don't get there often.

Back