Critique Daughter nr 3 - First Attempt with Gels - B&W edit added

I have never commented on other peoples portraits because I feel I`m not qualified enough to do so .... BUT .... can I ask what you tried to achieve here?

Alan,

Sorry I am no expert but I do like the composition and eye contact (and sharp) on the first one and prefer the BW ones.

Kev

They are certainly nice and sharp, and there's great eye contact in the first shot. What's weird is shown here in the thread they look very magenta - but they don't on Flickr :thinking: (could be my screen. I guess).

As for the usual critique, I'll get that out of the way - you've got some hot highlights and she's looking out of the frame (neither of these bother me in the least, and you say you wanted a different look).

I prefer the colour versions (on Flickr) as the B&W ones are a bit too high contrast for the subject in this case, imo. But....if it was Vinnie Jones (or similar) as the subject, then I'd probably prefer the B&W treatment.

The thing I have to ask though, as you've converted them to B&W and prefer these, did the coloured gels have any effect on the images or not. You've added colour and then removed it. (genuine question, as I've never used them).

@Morbid Yeah I realised I had uploaded the wrong files to Flikr so changed them over on Flikr, however this forum seems to have embedded the original picture and not updated it.

Yeah the hotspot doesn't bother me either and I thought her looking out of the frame was a different look (she was actually trying to to see the yellow flash)

The colour gels do seem to have an effect on the conversion they come out as a grey shadow if you look at her shoulder, so im sure if it was more on her face there would be more of a shadow

The whole shooting only lasted 2 mins max I was trying to hold the flash on one hand whist trying to get the remote trigger to work

Back