Daughter white wall shot .....

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this shot my daughter before one of her dance festivals.

Lighting was a very simple clamshell setup. A single speedlight in a rapidbox overhead with a silver reflector below for fill. Background was my hallway wall.

Just a bit of fun with the quote etc, but any c+c good or bad welcome.

Eyes closed

Very distinctive and nicely done. If anything, maybe moving your daughter a shade further away from the wall (realise this may not have bee possible), would have resulted in the soft shadow being less noticeable around the neck and asking her to 'even up' the neckline of the top to make it more balanced?

You are very lucky to have such a flawless and well made up model to practice your portraiture on.

Space was very limited, in that there was none, so moving away from the wall was not an option unfortuntely, although i quite like the shadow as it creates a bit of separation.
The neckline bothers me too, so wish id noticed it at the time but as per usual things were rushed and i didnt.
Thanks for looking and taking time to comment, its appreciated

Works pretty well for me Sir, totally different from the norm (if there is one), love the pose and starkness, and the red lippy really gives the shot some punch.(y)

George.

Works pretty well for me Sir, totally different from the norm (if there is one), love the pose and starkness, and the red lippy really gives the shot some punch.(y)

George.

Thank you. Yes, something a bit different. I love the red lipstick, think it really makes the image pop against white

We actually have a similar picture of my daughter taken by the outrageously expensive venture when she was like 5 or something. The old one is black and was a snap not posed, but i liked it and always wanted to capture another one when she was older, and this is it. Really can't believe what they used to charge and the quality was so poor. Anyway, thanks for looking and commenting.

I like this a lot [emoji1474]

Whenever I fancy the "white background" I tend to set up my big octa as a lit backdrop - much better than a wall. You've got a pretty good result here though [emoji1490]

Thanks Shaheed. Dont have a large Octa, just a small one. The wall was nearer to grey sooc, I just pulled up the exposure of it in post. Taken with the 50 I bought off you last year too, damn thing is razor sharp

I like the soft hint of shadow and also the less than perfect symmetry. But then it is not symmetrical anyway, as the image of your daughter is balanced by the text.
The slight angle of the head and the harsh line of the lower frame line cutting below the neck, and the almost total lack of an obvious frame limit on the other three sides all add to the total effect.
In my view this is an excellent portrait image.

Back