weekly Daves 2018 TP 52 WEEK 52 SHOWCASE COMPLETED

As soon as I saw the theme Gate, I knew just what to take and it involved the Royal Pavilion and Dome here in Brighton. Link for info Brighton Dome my main shot is the main gate ( Two gates ) for the drivers to get in to the pavilion to deliver things.

Main Gate by Dave, on Flickr

Dome Gate by Dave, on Flickr

Lovely shot Dave, you are spoilt for a bit architecture....
We will be on your patch for a weekend away the end of the month.....

You mean you didn't take a trip to India for architecture like that Dave? Not as committed to holidays abroad as Liz ;)
Good capture, I think I'm with you on #1 over #2, capturing a gate, gateway and door.

I've been meaning to ask, size wise, is the XT-2 much smaller than your old 70D?
How are you finding the 35mm, and do you have the kit lens?

I think the second one Dave as you have it straight on it’s a bit tight top and bottom but it’s an impressive entrance

Lovely shot Dave, you are spoilt for a bit architecture....
We will be on your patch for a weekend away the end of the month.....

Hi Mark, thank you for the comments, if you get a chance when down here then go up to Devils Dyke. Great to walk round some of the South Downs, then back to the Devils Dyke Inn.

You mean you didn't take a trip to India for architecture like that Dave? Not as committed to holidays abroad as Liz ;)
Good capture, I think I'm with you on #1 over #2, capturing a gate, gateway and door.

I've been meaning to ask, size wise, is the XT-2 much smaller than your old 70D?
How are you finding the 35mm, and do you have the kit lens?

Thank you Tim, you say India haha, after the Idiian people were so happy with the help they got during the war, they payed as a Thank you to the people of Brighton to have the arch built.
The X-T2 is the best camera I have ever had and still learning with it, it is smaller than the 70D and better for me too. When I got the X-T2 I also got the XF 18-55mm kit lens which to me is the best kit lens on the market today.
The XF 35mm f2 is a great lens and I just love it on the X-T2.

I think the second one Dave as you have it straight on it’s a bit tight top and bottom but it’s an impressive entrance

Thank you Allan, I did do one uncropped, but then you could hardly see the gate, shame really.

Last edited:
The X-T2 is the best camera I have ever had and still learning with it, it is smaller than the 70D and better for me too. When I got the X-T2 I also got the XF 18-55mm kit lens which to me is the best kit lens on the market today.
The XF 35mm f2 is a great lens and I just love it on the X-T2.
I've been looking for something more portable than the 5D3 for when I'm just out and about. Whilst my 80d is smaller, it's not significantly smaller.
The XT-2 is APSC, so it can't be significantly smaller, or can it?
I guess a trip to Jessops is in order to have a look.

I've been looking for something more portable than the 5D3 for when I'm just out and about. Whilst my 80d is smaller, it's not significantly smaller.
The XT-2 is APSC, so it can't be significantly smaller, or can it?
I guess a trip to Jessops is in order to have a look.

Yes the X-T2 is smaller, but also a lot lighter and since I jumped from the 70D to both the X cameras I have loved how light they both are :) I had both in my hands while in Jessops before I got them, and knew right away I would move from Canon to Fuji :)

Two very nice gate shots Sir, both very different so it’s hard to choose a fav’, but if I had to I’d probably settle for #1.(y)

George.

Yes the X-T2 is smaller, but also a lot lighter and since I jumped from the 70D to both the X cameras I have loved how light they both are :) I had both in my hands while in Jessops before I got them, and knew right away I would move from Canon to Fuji :)
Now how to explain to the mrs that I'm going to drop close on 2 bags on a new camera and a couple of lens, 14 months after the 80D.
She'll be fine ;)

Two similar but different gateways clearly the same inspiration behind them, the fancy ironwork detail in the second shot is lost a bit in the doors and windows behind. I like the simplicity of the first one more.

Gate(d) - two good images that fit the theme, but the second for me as the gate is much more interesting with all its fancy scrolls, but I feel the gate needs to stand out a bit more looks a bit lost against the red of the doors behind it and there could be a bit more space at the top of the image. I enjoyed the read up on the history behind the dome, I must look the place out next time I head to Brighton to go to GAK, when I have the urge to buy another guitar.

Two very impressive gates. I love #2 for the symmetry intricate design.

I'm taking my X-T2 with 16-55mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.4 to Oz and NZ purely for its lightweight.

Thank you Stan for the comment, hope you have a great holiday :)

Gate(d) - two good images that fit the theme, but the second for me as the gate is much more interesting with all its fancy scrolls, but I feel the gate needs to stand out a bit more looks a bit lost against the red of the doors behind it and there could be a bit more space at the top of the image. I enjoyed the read up on the history behind the dome, I must look the place out next time I head to Brighton to go to GAK, when I have the urge to buy another guitar.

Thank you Mandy for the comment, imo it is a shame I had to crop the #2 as if not then the top just takes over the whole image :)

Two nice photos, the first is the pick for me for this theme because the gate stands out better

I like them both, especially the first, beautiful stone work and I love the black gate behind! I think they are both a bit tight at the top though, IMHO, and maybe tweak the perspective on the first one to straighten the verticals?

I like them both, especially the first, beautiful stone work and I love the black gate behind! I think they are both a bit tight at the top though, IMHO, and maybe tweak the perspective on the first one to straighten the verticals?

Thank you for the comment Andrew, and good one to notice the straighten of the verticals as I thought it was off a bit too (y)

#1 for me Dave. The angle and the interior view ( and that patch of blue sky) make it an outstanding shot. Great start to the 52

Gate #1 for me, the second photo is a bit too busy for my linking.

About your dog all that is to say has already been said (y)

#1 for me Dave. The angle and the interior view ( and that patch of blue sky) make it an outstanding shot. Great start to the 52

Thank you John for the comment and looking :)

Gate #1 for me, the second photo is a bit too busy for my linking.

About your dog all that is to say has already been said (y)

Thank you Bernd too for the comment and looking :)

2 nice shots for Gate(d) Dave I think I prefer the first one as the doors behind the gates on hte second are a little too distracting for me.

I'll be down in Brighton in May for the Mini run I think were staying over in Brighton on hte Sunday night instead of heading back up to Crydon.

2 nice shots for Gate(d) Dave I think I prefer the first one as the doors behind the gates on hte second are a little too distracting for me.

I'll be down in Brighton in May for the Mini run I think were staying over in Brighton on hte Sunday night instead of heading back up to Crydon.

Thank you Mark for the comment and for reminding me about the Mini run too :)

Love the Brighton Dome image, really quite interesting to look at!

Thank you Mark for the comment and for reminding me about the Mini run too :)

Can I say sorry in advance for the chaos it cuases! This will be my 4th time my first was back in 1998 when 4 of us in a classic left Kidderminster at something like 4am drove to Crystal Palace then to Brighton and home agian getting home at about 1am the last 3 years we've done it in a new MINI and stayed in Crydon for a coupe of nights

Can I say sorry in advance for the chaos it cuases! This will be my 4th time my first was back in 1998 when 4 of us in a classic left Kidderminster at something like 4am drove to Crystal Palace then to Brighton and home agian getting home at about 1am the last 3 years we've done it in a new MINI and stayed in Crydon for a coupe of nights

I am glad you said about it, as I forget the Mini run sometimes so I will be going again to this in May (y)

Really like the Main Gate Dave.(y)

.... the pov, the light front & back and up under the roof. o_O ... did you use any special camera settings, a subtle touch of HDR or something?

Last edited:
Back