weekly DAVE'S 2021 WEEKLY 52 SHOWCASE & Finished

Good stuff. I think it's the mono car for me.

Nice set Dave, I really like the gold car (y)

I like the mono car a lot, but I really like the tones in the window shot, really old school, kinda washed out. It really suits the subject.

Nice set, the mono car wins it for me, good job.

Good stuff. I think it's the mono car for me.
Nice set Dave, I really like the gold car (y)
I like the mono car a lot, but I really like the tones in the window shot, really old school, kinda washed out. It really suits the subject.
Nice set, the mono car wins it for me, good job.
i like them all Dave but the gold car is the winner, very nicely done.

Thank you folks, the gold car is actually a clock as it is in the front bonnet.

Reflection
I like that Dave. I prefer the gold one the most. A nice strong reflection, that faded to black. Good job.

Amazingly empty streets. You chose the right one for the main thread. Very nice reflection and I like the black and gold - although perhaps it is silver with a warm white balance?

I like the gold car. Low key tech too?

Amazingly empty streets. You chose the right one for the main thread. Very nice reflection and I like the black and gold - although perhaps it is silver with a warm white balance?

Thank you Bebop, the gold car is actually a very very shiny gold colour and to use flash on it can be very tricky.

Today with the X100V I have started to try and understand How to use the flash, even though it was only the on camera flash. I put the camera on my mini tripod and set the timer to 2 sec to take both images, as I use the small bedroom a lot for my tripod work I enclose a mobile shot of todays work and the little table top that I now like to use. I also managed my Low Key Tech too which is nice.

Terracotta Soldier by Dave, on Flickr

Golden Elephant by Dave, on Flickr

Pull Back Shot by Dave, on Flickr

I like the elephant best as he stands out against the background well and I like the warm colours. That is a nice backdrop you have there. Thanks for sharing the wider view.

When you say timer, do you mean timer before the shutter is fired?

I like the elephant best as he stands out against the background well and I like the warm colours. That is a nice backdrop you have there. Thanks for sharing the wider view.

When you say timer, do you mean timer before the shutter is fired?

Thank you Bebop, yes I tried the timer at 10 sec first then set it at 2 sec to fire.

That first image is competing way too much with the background - perhaps because the tones are so dark? The elephant has a lighter set of tones and thus stands out a bit more. For me, you need more light on your subject and less light on the background. The easiest way to do this is with distance. If you're using flash just ditch the background and try letting it fade to black..?

Sorry - I'm no lighting expert, but I think your subjects are competing against the background. :)

That first image is competing way too much with the background - perhaps because the tones are so dark? The elephant has a lighter set of tones and thus stands out a bit more. For me, you need more light on your subject and less light on the background. The easiest way to do this is with distance. If you're using flash just ditch the background and try letting it fade to black..?

Sorry - I'm no lighting expert, but I think your subjects are competing against the background. :)
The background is definitely a bit strong - ocf might give you more separation by lighting only the subject and not the background?

Thank you both, I have made a note on your advice on making sure to have distance.

Elephant for me too Dave.
As others have said the background texture behind the figure is too similar to the figure itself
The flash has highlighted the errr highlights on both.
a plain dark back ground would have worked a lot better IMO.

The first picture is less 'low key' and more 'just dark' so it's not for me; I feel I am just peering into the gloom. The second shows more promise but as others have said, the background is competing in both photos.

Nice images, the elephant wins for me but i'd have to agree with the other comments about the background.

Elephant for me too Dave.
As others have said the background texture behind the figure is too similar to the figure itself
The flash has highlighted the errr highlights on both.
a plain dark back ground would have worked a lot better IMO.
The first picture is less 'low key' and more 'just dark' so it's not for me; I feel I am just peering into the gloom. The second shows more promise but as others have said, the background is competing in both photos.
Nice images, the elephant wins for me but i'd have to agree with the other comments about the background.

Thank you folks.

Same here on the comments above. The elephant certainly pips the post. Thanks for sharing the set up.

Sorry Dave just to say I echo the other comments :)
Same here on the comments above. The elephant certainly pips the post. Thanks for sharing the set up.

Thank you both, I'd rather folk tell me the truth like has been said, instead of saying what a great shot. I will learn from my mistake.

The first is kinda low key, the elephant is more interesting. And I like the pull back shot, super little camera.

Reflection
I can’t decide between the two car images, potentially a mix of the two having the mono with just the faintest hint of the golden version. Regardless super images, well handled lighting providing enough detail

Rough
I choose the Elephant too, the background on the soldier is not contrasting enough to focus my attention at a main element. I wonder if a longer exposure on the soldier with a brief period where a focused light is shone would enhance it?

Reflection
I can’t decide between the two car images, potentially a mix of the two having the mono with just the faintest hint of the golden version. Regardless super images, well handled lighting providing enough detail

Rough
I choose the Elephant too, the background on the soldier is not contrasting enough to focus my attention at a main element. I wonder if a longer exposure on the soldier with a brief period where a focused light is shone would enhance it?

Thank you Stuart.

nice, I think the lighting is very nice and the subject fits the theme

Almost looks like it's made of wax. Very smooth though... Buttery even :)

Back