weekly DAVES 52 CHALLENGE 2019 WEEK 52 OUT TAKES & FINISHED

Hi Dave,
A bit of a catch up from me!
Empty - Both nice shots and fit the theme well. The interior shot is more pleasing of the two.
Buildings - Three good shots. I'm going to plump for the first one as I prefer the subtle colour pop.
Soft - Two nice shots. As for fitting the theme? I'm not so sure...
Old - Nice shots there too. I agree re the sepia treatment. The gravestone works great in mono and the door works well in colour.
Flower - All three are good shots. The first one for me really pops though. Nice one.
Dull - Perfect fit for the theme not much more to say!
Snappers choice - Three excellent shots here. My favourite is the first one with the bass player in as it tells more of a story for me.
Near - That works on two levels as Stan said above. Great image.

Thank you Lee for the comments.

Nice singers shot. For me a shoehorn is only when you didn’t take the shot with the theme in mind. For me the whole idea of this challenge is to take a photo specifically for the theme - the same week and post it that same week. Note I said “for me” :)

Thank you Dave for the comment, must admit when I saw the shot I thought of the near theme.

Hi Dave

Snappers Choice, I like the rendition of the first image better, more contrast and tones are great, but the chap playing the Double Bass interferes a bit with the main man.
I like the detail in the chaps face on the image you selected.
I agree that the Sax is a great instrument.

Near, another great Image Dave, works to the theme for me.

Pete

Thank you Peter, I`m sure I will get a chance to add more jazz shots before the end of my 52 :D

A bit of an extreme crop Dave? coupled with the 3200iso it feels soft.
I like it :) It fits the theme well, but given what I think the conditions must have been, I think I might have gone with a B&W conversion, adding grain to make a thing of it.

A bit of an extreme crop Dave? coupled with the 3200iso it feels soft.
I like it :) It fits the theme well, but given what I think the conditions must have been, I think I might have gone with a B&W conversion, adding grain to make a thing of it.

Thank you Tim, I thought I forgot to put a b&w one in as well.

Last edited:
The wishywashy vintagey shot for me :)

The first shot is my favourite, it's more film looking than an old film photo! It suits the scene really well.

I think it has to be No 2 for me Dave, I like the PoV and the B&W PP. Good job

I prefer the colour shot too. :)

The Jazz Singer shot for me Dave. Because of the colour.
The first shot is my favourite, it's more film looking than an old film photo! It suits the scene really well.
I think it has to be No 2 for me Dave, I like the PoV and the B&W PP. Good job
I like number 2 the best but would have edited out the white cable!
I prefer the colour shot too. :)

Thank you folks.

Cracking images Dave!:clap:

Near: As others have said, not a shoehorn, a very nicely taken image that has captured a great, dynamic moment.
Song: Fantastic set Dave! #1 for me, love a bit of double bass, and the processing really suits it! #2 is a close second!

Cracking images Dave!:clap:

Near: As others have said, not a shoehorn, a very nicely taken image that has captured a great, dynamic moment.
Song: Fantastic set Dave! #1 for me, love a bit of double bass, and the processing really suits it! #2 is a close second!

Thank you Gareth.

I like the DB on it's own best: the low angle and the lack of distraction from the subject make it work for me. Very nice

Hi Dave, I like the processing on the first one, I like the Jazz singer in colour and I prefer the Last Double base photo.

Pete

I borrowed some money today, but did not want to take a photo of it. So off I went to the jazz do in The Better Half, my mate who is a Pro Fuji photographer Andrew Roach came in, and I asked if I could Borrow his XF56mm f1.2 lens. So these images of Sarah were taken by me with the Borrowed lens.

Sarah by Dave, on Flickr

Sarah by Dave, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well done for getting a jazz shot in, I think the first is better composed because she is not directly in front of the bassist but her expression is better in the second

also had a look also at your friends work really love his equine portraits.

Nice images Dave (as ever), although, for me (if I were to ctiticise) i'd say the singer is a tad dark and maybe even a little on the orange side = but this could well be down to my monitor.

Well done for getting a jazz shot in, I think the first is better composed because she is not directly in front of the bassist but her expression is better in the second

also had a look also at your friends work really love his equine portraits.

Thank you Allan, agree on Andrews images.

Hi Dave,

I really like the connection with the bass player in your first shot but the second one works better for me compositionally.
Nice shots for Borrowed. Lovely and sharp wide open. Pretty savage CA on the window frame though.

Borrowed
I prefer the second one (she doesn't look like she's kissing the mic, like she did in the first one). Both are nice sharp and well exposed.

Hi Dave,

I really like the connection with the bass player in your first shot but the second one works better for me compositionally.
Nice shots for Borrowed. Lovely and sharp wide open. Pretty savage CA on the window frame though.
Song
#1 with the pp of #4
Borrowed
I prefer the second one (she doesn't look like she's kissing the mic, like she did in the first one). Both are nice sharp and well exposed.

Thank you both.

Nice idea for Borrowed - I prefer the second because the bassist is looking at the singer, giving it more story

Great images Dave!(y)
Your jazz images are excellent indeed!
My pick is #2 also...for the reasons that have been said - the connection between Sarah and the bass player is terrific.
Both are super sharp though and have a great feel to them.

Back