weekly DAVES 52 CHALLENGE 2019 WEEK 52 OUT TAKES & FINISHED

Hi Dave,

New - I really like this. The vocalist is well lit and she has a lot of passion for her singing. I understand that its meant to be a dark B&W but I feel I would like to see a bit more in the lower quarter though - especially of the double bass.
Clean - good take for the theme. The colours are nice but the highlights look like they could do with turning down a touch maybe. Nice :)
Open - A clever take on the theme. I like that there is just the Pegasus and the background- no other distractions. The shallow DoF has made it look like it has some movement to it too. Very nice!

Thank you Lee for looking and the comments.

Hi Dave that's a fabulous building and I'm sure its well worth a revisit, I love the shape of those towers. The weather is against us all this week I think the skies are very drab and uninteresting, but your main subject is definitely full of distant history.

Thank you Susie for the comment and for looking.

I like this image Dave, fits the theme nicely.
I can see what others mean re. exposure....it must be difficult which to expose for - sky or building.
If you'd have bumped up for the building, you'd have a white, featureless sky....so I think you made the right choice.
Of course you could commit to many hours/days, painstakingly selecting the top details of the building, tree branches etc, and raising the exposure on the lower half....
....don't blame you for not doing that!!:giggle:
As it stands, I think it's a good image, nice work Dave.(y)

I like this image Dave, fits the theme nicely.
I can see what others mean re. exposure....it must be difficult which to expose for - sky or building.
If you'd have bumped up for the building, you'd have a white, featureless sky....so I think you made the right choice.
Of course you could commit to many hours/days, painstakingly selecting the top details of the building, tree branches etc, and raising the exposure on the lower half....
....don't blame you for not doing that!!:giggle:
As it stands, I think it's a good image, nice work Dave.(y)

Thank you Gareth for the comment and for looking.

I like your idea of conveying the distant past, Dave. It was obviously a challenging day weather-wise and everyone has already commented on that, so I think you've made the best of what you had and maybe you'll get another chance in the next couple of days.

We've been lashed by gales here since Friday so me and my camera haven't ventured out yet as I know I won't be able to get the image I want until it clears :) As I've said before, it's always interesting to see your images of Brighton and we really must get down there one day.

I like your idea of conveying the distant past, Dave. It was obviously a challenging day weather-wise and everyone has already commented on that, so I think you've made the best of what you had and maybe you'll get another chance in the next couple of days.

We've been lashed by gales here since Friday so me and my camera haven't ventured out yet as I know I won't be able to get the image I want until it clears :) As I've said before, it's always interesting to see your images of Brighton and we really must get down there one day.

Thank you Andrea for the comment and for looking, the weather forecast is for sun tomorrow so as I have to go to town I will try for a better shot.

Open - WOW that’s a stunning image, I love it what more can I say.

Distant - a great idea for the theme and like most of us suffering with dull sky’s. It’s an interesting looking building and sounds like it’s got some good history behind it.

Open - WOW that’s a stunning image, I love it what more can I say.

Distant - a great idea for the theme and like most of us suffering with dull sky’s. It’s an interesting looking building and sounds like it’s got some good history behind it.

Thank you Mandy for the comment and for looking.

Hi Dave

New, plenty going on, you caught the action well and the dark mood really helps. nice
processing.

Clean, a good picture of a brush, I like the colour and the highlight works for me.

Open, I don't know what to make of this shot Dave, what is it? is it an xmas dec or an ornament? Looks ok and its black and white.

Distance, Not much you can do about the sky and I guess it's on theme, a bit shoehorned by history maybe, but a pleasant photo with some old chap half hidden by the lamppost.
Other photos are nice with the blue sky which always helps.

Pete

Hi Dave

New, plenty going on, you caught the action well and the dark mood really helps. nice
processing.

Clean, a good picture of a brush, I like the colour and the highlight works for me.

Open, I don't know what to make of this shot Dave, what is it? is it an xmas dec or an ornament? Looks ok and its black and white.

Distance, Not much you can do about the sky and I guess it's on theme, a bit shoehorned by history maybe, but a pleasant photo with some old chap half hidden by the lamppost.
Other photos are nice with the blue sky which always helps.

Pete

Thank you Peter, if you have a read of this I think you will find it is not a shoehorn shot :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Pavilion

Both cracking images Dave!
I like no. 2 also....the light is tremendous, and I like the people for scale.
Beautiful sky too, and the long shadows look superb!
The tree on the left frames it nicely.
An awesome image Dave!(y)

Thank you too Gareth for looking and the comment.

Hi Dave, apologies for not making it over here before now.

New - Really like how black the black and white is. The bottom third of the image being almost completely black with the two musicians emerging from it. Something I would like to capture myself at some point. Jazz and black and white go hand in hand.
Clean - I like the colours of the brush and good idea for the theme.
Open - Great shot, really like the way its lit up, looks like it could be in the sky.
Distant - The 2nd one is my favourite, although in shadow I like the colour and detail of the building.

Great stuff so far.

Hi Dave, apologies for not making it over here before now.

New - Really like how black the black and white is. The bottom third of the image being almost completely black with the two musicians emerging from it. Something I would like to capture myself at some point. Jazz and black and white go hand in hand.
Clean - I like the colours of the brush and good idea for the theme.
Open - Great shot, really like the way its lit up, looks like it could be in the sky.
Distant - The 2nd one is my favourite, although in shadow I like the colour and detail of the building.

Great stuff so far.

Know need for any apologies Dom, not easy to comment on every image. Thank you too for looking and the comments.

Week One This really is your forte in my opinion, caught the atmosphere and emotion with the tight crop and lighting.
Clean Simple, strong image, like the lighting with the glow on the metal parts.
Pegasus, Right up my street, simple, unusual and very well shot.

Distant, I like the backstory which explains your thinking, nothing you can do about the sky and the tree does give a bit of a distant, hidden feel to the shot IMO.

Week One This really is your forte in my opinion, caught the atmosphere and emotion with the tight crop and lighting.
Clean Simple, strong image, like the lighting with the glow on the metal parts.
Pegasus, Right up my street, simple, unusual and very well shot.
Distant, I like the backstory which explains your thinking, nothing you can do about the sky and the tree does give a bit of a distant, hidden feel to the shot IMO.

Thank you Roger for the comments and for looking. On a funny note when I take photos of strangers I find a bit nervous, but when it comes to the jazz and vocalists I love it more as I know they will like them too.

Hi Dave,

I like the first of the second lot of images of the pavilion. It's a beautiful building and I like this angle which shows up more of the details :D

When I saw the theme Cold I thought of Foreigner singing their classic 1977 song Cold as Ice, and I knew where to find some too as a snow shot for me is what most will do. One in mono and other in colour, as mono for ice or snow makes it feel colder.

Cold as Ice mono by Dave, on Flickr

Cold as Ice by Dave, on Flickr

Great idea for the theme. I actually disagree with you:). I feel the colour image depicts colds more and also prefer the colour version. For some reason not keen on the mono version despite it showing the detail in the ice. :)

Great idea for the theme. I actually disagree with you:). I feel the colour image depicts colds more and also prefer the colour version. For some reason not keen on the mono version despite it showing the detail in the ice. :)

Thank you Mandy for looking and the comment. I do like seeing cold things in colour more so once a load of snow has settled, but also like it in mono.

Superb close up image Dave!
Fantastic detail in the ice!
I have to agree with Mandy and Chris, the colour image is my favourite too.
I like the mono processing, but it's a shame to lose that wonderful punchy green of the leaf, which is perfectly placed and is such a great focal point.
The blue tones in the ice really enhance the cold feel too, for me.
They're both winners though, very nice work Dave!(y)

Dave, I think it’s the colour one for me. However it suits mono as well. Just my preference
Superb close up image Dave!
Fantastic detail in the ice!
I have to agree with Mandy and Chris, the colour image is my favourite too.
I like the mono processing, but it's a shame to lose that wonderful punchy green of the leaf, which is perfectly placed and is such a great focal point.
The blue tones in the ice really enhance the cold feel too, for me.
They're both winners though, very nice work Dave!(y)
I will go along with the colour version, too. And there goes an idea I was contemplating…..
great shot, ice is a winner for colours/textures

Thank you guys for the nice comments and for looking, after having a good look imo the colour beats the mono hands down.

I'm the same - I think the colour one works best - gives it a real icey blue coldness to it

I am going to agree with everyone else and say I prefer the colour version, as it feels colder and also the leave stands out a lot more. I initially didn't see the leaf in the black and white version. I wonder if it would help if you lifted the greens in the black and white conversion, so it was a bit paler standing out against the ice?

Much prefer the colour image Dave, The mono seems to flat.
Love the colour one Dave, for me it works so much better. It's as if that little plant is just fighting to get to the light. Really nice image.
I'm the same - I think the colour one works best - gives it a real icey blue coldness to it
I am going to agree with everyone else and say I prefer the colour version, as it feels colder and also the leave stands out a lot more. I initially didn't see the leaf in the black and white version. I wonder if it would help if you lifted the greens in the black and white conversion, so it was a bit paler standing out against the ice?

Thank you all for the comments and for looking.

You're quick off the mark again, Dave! My first thought was that the colour one actually looked colder than the B&W, and I see that most people think the same. Although the mono version shows off the great textures in the ice, the blue in the other one seems to convey COLD better, and the little touch of green from the leaf is very nice. Good close-up details, too.

Back