weekly DAVES 52 CHALLENGE 2019 WEEK 52 OUT TAKES & FINISHED

You're quick off the mark again, Dave! My first thought was that the colour one actually looked colder than the B&W, and I see that most people think the same. Although the mono version shows off the great textures in the ice, the blue in the other one seems to convey COLD better, and the little touch of green from the leaf is very nice. Good close-up details, too.

Thank you Andrea for looking and the comments.

I like the second one better personally. When I saw it in the main thread I wondered what it would look like in colour, so glad you posted both!

Me too. Much prefer the colour version. It is amazing how 'lumpy' snow and ice can be and you have captured it perfectly.

when I saw your shot in the Image Only thread I thought straight away that a blue colour would work better for coldness and you've done it. I'm not too keen on the odd green leaf though.

Thank you Stan for the comment and for looking. I was not sure to crop out the leaf or not so just left it in.

For me it's the colour version too. The green just pops out at you. Another great image.

Cold
It's the colour shot for me.
I feel it's a little under exposed, just a touch.

Thank you Dominic for the tip and comment.

I'm a big fan of b&w but in this instance I definitely think the colour one has a colder look to it ...nice one and first in Dave.

Thank you Susie for looking and the comment.

The colour one. The green leaves really set off the ice well, and are in just the right spot in the frame. Nicely done and perfectly on theme

Hi Dave,

The mono one for me is best if it was just ice but I feel the colour version works because of the plant. Gut feel for the image as a whole says colour. The inclusion of the leaves makes it for me.

Defo the colour for cold! That sprig of green really helps too.

So had a pub lunch today and checked my mobile for the theme, no luck so went to grab a bus home and ended up having a pint in another pub and while waiting for the theme I drank that and then checked and saw the theme was waiting. Came out of the pub and at my bus stop these people were WAITING for the bus. The bus stop is at an angle as it`s on a hill, so left it alone. Taken with X100F the darker one was finished in Nik Collection.

Waiting for the Bus by Dave, on Flickr

At the Bus Stop by Dave, on Flickr

Gosh you were quick off the mark. Was on Flickr not long ago and your photos popped up. Both very good images and fit the theme really well. You’ve also answered a question I was going to post on xt3 forum. As you have used the Nik collection I take it, it works ok with Fuji cameras. Sure I read somewhere or someone said it didn’t. how do you find this software. Seriously thinking of this and or phottomatix not that I am an expert in lightroom or photoshop but want to keep options open.

Boom! Nailed it and quickly! The reflection in No1 makes it the winner of the two for me :)

Gosh you were quick off the mark. Was on Flickr not long ago and your photos popped up. Both very good images and fit the theme really well. You’ve also answered a question I was going to post on xt3 forum. As you have used the Nik collection I take it, it works ok with Fuji cameras. Sure I read somewhere or someone said it didn’t. how do you find this software. Seriously thinking of this and or phottomatix not that I am an expert in lightroom or photoshop but want to keep options open.

Hi Mandy thank you very much for the nice words, I have and use only the X-T3 and X100F I edit both camera Raf files in C1 Pro 12 and finish in Affinity Photo. In Affinity Photo I have managed to get all my Topaz plugins in and working, and I was glad I managed to get the old version of Nik Collection up and running as a plugin in both Affinity Photo and PSE 15 so yes Nik Collection works a treat on both my Fuji X cameras.

Typical of today Dave, both shots have people on their mobiles. I think the first one for me with the reflection in the bus shelters glass. They both suit mono really well

Typical of today Dave, both shots have people on their mobiles. I think the first one for me with the reflection in the bus shelters glass. They both suit mono really well

Thank you Chris for looking and the comment, totally love using the X100F for getting close and blatant.

Yet again you are first over the line, Dave - within minutes this time! These are both perfect for the theme and show a snapshot of modern life, where people automatically reach for their phones when they have to wait or queue anywhere.

My favourite is the first one because of the reflection in the bus shelter, and although the uprights look a little off I think you get away with it in an image that is clearly 'street' and very candid. I wish I had the courage to get in so close to people and get images like this.

Yet again you are first over the line, Dave - within minutes this time! These are both perfect for the theme and show a snapshot of modern life, where people automatically reach for their phones when they have to wait or queue anywhere.

My favourite is the first one because of the reflection in the bus shelter, and although the uprights look a little off I think you get away with it in an image that is clearly 'street' and very candid. I wish I had the courage to get in so close to people and get images like this.

Thank you Andrea for the comment and for looking. It has taken me a few years to just point and shoot when taking images of people.

Two great candid shots Dave!

Of the two, I am leaning towards the first also....the contrasty look is super, and I agree with Dave @-Oy- , the reflection is what makes the shot work.
Great timing, great framing, and the mono processing is top notch.
Well done sir!(y)

Two great candid shots Dave!

Of the two, I am leaning towards the first also....the contrasty look is super, and I agree with Dave @-Oy- , the reflection is what makes the shot work.
Great timing, great framing, and the mono processing is top notch.
Well done sir!(y)

Thank you Gareth for looking and the comment.

Back