Critique Dawn at Elgol

I like the soft tones here. At first glance it seemed a little flat but when you take it in, it's quite a lovely image. There are many different kinds of light and mood up those ways and you've done a cracking job with what you had.

I quite like a soft, calm, etheral feel. Plenty dramatic images of this place out there and for me it's still ok contrast wise. I'm not a fan of artificially high black points and loads of contrast, favouring something easy and restful on the eye. Dawn colours are lovely, soft, and delicate and it's a great time to be out and about.

Steve, lovely scene as ever.
There's some haloing around the mid ground cliff, though I suspect that it's an issue arising from posting, and probably doesn't exist on the original.

Lovely work, my eye gets drawn to the couple of darker clouds though, time to get the rubber out perhaps?

Steve, lovely scene as ever.
There's some haloing around the mid ground cliff, though I suspect that it's an issue arising from posting, and probably doesn't exist on the original.

There was some chromatic aberration in the raw at that area but almost certain I removed it. Downscaling an image of over 7000px to 1024 does kill it a little.

Sharpening, very little done. The 24-70 isn't shabby at all.

I like that view, but just a little further down the beach. Basically removing the cliff edge on the right, I think this lessons the impact of that view.

It is soft and calming, and well done on working a new composition of the scene. I do prefer the one I have faved on flickr though with some red light, but good work with this in the blue hour.

It is soft and calming, and well done on working a new composition of the scene. I do prefer the one I have faved on flickr though with some red light, but good work with this in the blue hour.

Most people prefer to go to the boulder or further down - but I've always liked this part of the beach - I suspect though many have taken shots similar but its a lovely place to go.

Fear not - the wide crop long shots are coming to this forum later on.

A different take to this scene, i like the peace and calmness of the scene and the open space of the scene.

Great image, but the only negative for me is that the clear water in the foreground distracts my eyes off of what is an excellent image.

However, you guys shoot this stuff more often & way better than me, but it definitely detracts from the image as a whole (in my opinion).

Great image, but the only negative for me is that the clear water in the foreground distracts my eyes off of what is an excellent image.

However, you guys shoot this stuff more often & way better than me, but it definitely detracts from the image as a whole (in my opinion).

I actually get that - I had picked a high tide and windy day - I'd hoped to get more water breaking and dramatic movemement in the image but alas...nature wasn't giving. A reason to go back :D

Back