Wild DCR-250 +100mm canon macro

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Spent a few hours out with the DCR-250 + 100 mm macro on Sunday to see what i could get. Using a speed lite with no diffuser and all hand held.

So first up is a Rhododendron leaf hopper

11-8 by andy johnson, on Flickr

Next a Reed beetle, actually look really boring and brown with no flash.

10-10 by andy johnson, on Flickr

Some kind of Loop moth ?

8-13 by andy johnson, on Flickr

A Dance fly, here you can see the very narrow DOF

7-14 by andy johnson, on Flickr

Pass on this small fly ?

6-15 by andy johnson, on Flickr

Another leaf hopper perhaps ??

4-17 by andy johnson, on Flickr

Urm, a hover fly no idea which.

3-18 by andy johnson, on Flickr

And finally a lost oppertunity. I was trying to shoot this moth fly and only when i looked at the files on the PC did i see the Globby DOHHHH !!!!! Never seen one before.

Thanks for looking

20-9 by andy johnson, on Flickr

The leafhopper is my fave
With some diffusion they would be better though, have tried reducing the highlights in PP.

The samll fly you are passing on is a dolly fly of some sort but it is losing out due to lack of diffusion.

With some diffusion they would be better though,

There could be a hefty price to pay to using diffusion: iridescence!
True that diffusion should often be used but here, in most cases, harshness
is not a problem.

The leafhopper is my fave
With some diffusion they would be better though, have tried reducing the highlights in PP.

The samll fly you are passing on is a dolly fly of some sort but it is losing out due to lack of diffusion.

Thanks Alf. Just tried to ID the fly and looks like Dolichopodidae ( long legged flies ) of which there are about 300 species in the UK so i think thats close enough for me.
I had built a home made diffuser to try out but it fell apart in my bag ( cant do DIY ) :) Sometimes using this lens with a 250 i find that if i am close to the subject the flash will under expose the subject but not in this case. I read somewhere that it can be useful to underexpose so the hotspots don't blow and then adjust in PP, i didnt get the chance to try this out Sunday.

There could be a hefty price to pay to using diffusion: iridescence!
True that diffusion should often be used but here, in most cases, harshness
is not a problem.

Thanks Qc, iridescence is a beautiful thing but in the case of the reed beetle above its not really how the eye see's it which makes identifying it difficult. Still i'm pleased with the out come rather than a drab brown beetle. :)

Nice results from the setup.

The leafhopper is very nice - Diffusion would improve the harshness and add detail to eyes I would suggest in some of the fly shots.

Thanks Chris. These leaf hoppers do look positively tropical. My diffuser fell apart so couldnt try it, but the one i made my wife's ring flash seems to work very well, ill try and put some up from hers later.

Thanks all for the comments.

She has done a good job... just bear in mind the MP-E is a totally different beast. RF (at least front mounted) won't do it I'm afraid.

I think harder thought on the lighting is your next step.

She has done a good job... just bear in mind the MP-E is a totally different beast. RF (at least front mounted) won't do it I'm afraid.

I think harder thought on the lighting is your next step.

For sure Bryn i have much to learn. Its a difficult transition for me as i have been taking macro shots for years for a forum i own but its always been about the subject rather than the picture. Its like a complete turn around and i'm loving it :)

Back