weekly De88ie's 52 2016 - Week 49 50 51

I've sorted it all out for you posted your image and linked it from the front page so you can see how it works
If you aren't sure have a read HERE (y)

Playing with my, new to me, 45mm f1.8 m.zuiko, lens. Thought the 52's challenge would be perfect for me. After all it doesn't matter how much reading I do about photography, I won't learn until I actually use my camera. Fed up of being scared of it, if I get it wrong then it's all part of learning. At least I know I can ask what's wrong and will get help on here to improve.

Cobra, just been reading the how to link you have posted. I just posted my image onto my post and thought aren't I clever. Did the link on the wrong page and came here to try again, then read your post. You are a star, very much appreciated. I will get the hang of it, honest.

I will get the hang of it, honest.
Its easier to do than it actually reads, once you have done it once, your'll be able to do it blindfold ( well almost lol )

Welcome Debbie - glad you managed to sort out the links ... I struggled with them too but it becomes easy with repetition and comes quite naturally now. Absolutely right about practice to learn - I think you will find this a nice friendly forum with all the help you may need. Nice starting image for Metal ... is it a handle to a range cooker? It is a lovely b&w image and the metal looks so shiny. Well done. :clap:

Hi Debbie, great idea for the theme, nuce and sharp snd it has a 3d pop to it. Good luck completing your 52

Thankyou Carl Ayling. You are spot on, it is the handle on my range cooker. I do tend to struggle with the technical side when reading it. I seem to be a visual learner. I do think that somethings seen difficult when written down but are actually very straightforward in practice.

Purplepleaser, thankyou. Hope to keep up with the 52.

An interesting composition (had no idea what it was) and I love the highlights, they really stand out.

Thankyou nickbee I have always loved the shape of the handles. Although I have never thought of photographing them before, they were the first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the week 1 title, metal.

Playing with my, new to me, 45mm f1.8 m.zuiko, lens. Thought the 52's challenge would be perfect for me. After all it doesn't matter how much reading I do about photography, I won't learn until I actually use my camera. Fed up of being scared of it, if I get it wrong then it's all part of learning. At least I know I can ask what's wrong and will get help on here to improve.

It's always fun playing with a new lens. I found the same as you, the best way to learn is to get out and take photos, learn from any mistakes but most of all just enjoy yourself.

I thought the picture was of some sort of heating element when I first looked, wouldn't have guessed a handle. It's a nice start to your 52 and the B&W works well.

Thankyou for the lovely comments. Posiview I did take a few images which included a straight on shot that was symmetrical, it just didn't have the depth and the quality of clarity on the highlights. It looked a bit flat and the highlights were too white so it looked overexposed. The slight angle still niggles me though. CliveNX you wouldn't say that if you saw the colour photo, who knew you had to clean inside the handles

Last edited:
An interesting and somewhat abstract image. The mono conversion works well and helps emphasise he contrasting tones and the intriguing shape.

Fab start to the 52

Spooks

Hi Debbie.

Regarding the composition I pretty much agree with the comments above about either getting square on for absolute symmetry or going for a "jaunty" angle. But that aside I think this is a well executed and processed image, a great start. Welcome aboard!

Hi Debbie for someone how is scared of getting it wrong you certainly got this shot right lovely composition great tones Well Done :clap:

A lovely b & w Debbie...it would have been better if it was a bit more straight, but a nice image all the same. I spent some time wondering what it was, and had to refer to the thread to get the answer, so full marks for spotting an everyday object and doing a good job with it - it's something I'll have to improve on!

Old is a great image - the sort of thing I really like and take loads of when walking round old castles and stately homes :) The composition is very striking with the cross of stone on the thirds and the drain pipe adding additional interest :clap:

Captive- great take on the theme with a lovely DOF (y)

Great idea for captive, and great focus and depth of field!

Excellent work on Captive.
A great idea well shot. Depth of field is perfect but I find the table at the bottom left a bit distracting. I think cropping the leftmost pawn out would fix this and also align the image with the rule of thirds.

Hi, excellent idea for captive and well produced surprised no one else has thought of chess

image.jpeg
Excellent work on Captive.
A great idea well shot. Depth of field is perfect but I find the table at the bottom left a bit distracting. I think cropping the leftmost pawn out would fix this and also align the image with the rule of thirds.
Thankyou, is this better? (Got to admit that looks much better even to my untrained eye.)

Last edited:
I really like your idea for captive and prefer your original,I think the edge of the board gives it more context. Just as an aside I saw this in the "post your images here" thread but you hadn't posted a link so it was hard to track down.

Apologies sirch, I am having trouble with the link. Will try again. Thankyou for letting me know and for your kind words.

Help, have followed the instructions for doing the link. I am on an iPad and just cannot get the link to work. Can copy and paste and insert linky to link box but it comes up with insert and not save. Clicked insert but link just will not show. I know it's me, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Added a link the only way I can, but not sure if it's allowed. Please feel free to edit. Thankyou

Last edited:
Really like both Captive and Old. Really good interpretation of captive. Out of interest, where was "old" taken?

Help, have followed the instructions for doing the link. I am on an iPad and just cannot get the link to work. Can copy and paste and insert linky to link box but it comes up with insert and not save. Clicked insert but link just will not show. I know it's me, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Added a link the only way I can, but not sure if it's allowed. Please feel free to edit. Thankyou

Can't help with an iPad but you don't have to put it in a link box, it already has the tags for it to be a link, just paste what you copied from the "share" pop-up directly into your post

Lovely shot for Captive. Great idea for the theme and very well shot. There is a lovely warmth to the picture.

I like both versions but my preference would be the cropped version but I do generally prefer that type of shot.

Debbie Hi, I really like your idea for captive, different that the others posted. DOf is spot on.

Back