Dean Bridge Sunset (Edinburgh)

S

stupar

The good old BBC weather forecast suggested that the weather here in Edinburgh would break about 4pm which would coincide with sunset at 4.22pm so a quick blast on the bike and I am standing on Dean Bridge looking over Dean Village below.
I have always wanted this shot in my records and a quick check of the photographers ephemeris app had the sun channeling right down the village so happy with the timing and the weather outcome.

Thank you for taking the time to look

Dean Bridge Sunset SW by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

You caught something beautiful… you rendered something horrible
HDR cooking is not looking nature-like in this rendition Stuart…

Really overdone.:)

OK HDR is a subjective topic and I will give my reasons why I think my image doesn't wholly fall into the HDR category.

Firstly its a single RAW not bracketed shots
Secondly I did not apply a pseudo/faux HDR filter etc.

What I did do in ACR was increase contrast slightly
Drop highlights
Increase shadows
Increase clarity and vibrance

Then in CC I tweaked levels and curves.
I'm sure people will say that by recovering the shadows and dropping the highlights that that is still HDR.......probably so but I reserve overdone/overcooked for the extreme stuff you see with huge halos and a plastic look.

To try and strike the balance I ran the same image though PS again then added an HDR filter at default values and got this (now that I would class as overdone/overcooked)

As always though these things are very subjective.

Faux HDR by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:

This means in no way to upset you Stuart!
…but anything you do to extend the dynamic range of a take IS HDR.
By means of exposures or, like here, by extending the lows and reducing the highs.
The first consequences of retrieving the lower end of the histogram is a loss of micro
contrast, a loss of micro saturation resulting all together in a duller picture.

You said:
— "What I did do in ACR was increase contrast slightly
Drop highlights
Increase shadows
Increase clarity and vibrance" —

So to counteract, to compensate the duller picture, you — increase clarity and vibrance" —
this is not the better strategy and ACR not the better tool but the craftsmanship could make
the big difference!

This is one RAW I would like to see!

Last edited:
To try and strike the balance I ran the same image though PS again then added an HDR filter at default values and got this (now that I would class as overdone/overcooked)

Right, so you see that HDR IS HDR…
Photoshop delivered similar results with ever
worst WB (you did better than PS there!)

I take no upset or malice from constructive comments.

In this occasion I just felt the need to defend myself as singular comments such as overdone/overcooked are usually reserved for the HDR images that make your eyes bleed and I was merely trying to separate my image from those.

FWIW I didn't automatically see the image as HDR, but OTOH it's a bit too vibrant for nature. Well thought through plan though.

Back