Decay

Edit My Images
No
Took the wrong road and arrived a little later than I had wanted.
IMGP2551-2.jpg

Sadly I have no control over the wind.

It is just another thing you have to check for in the weather forecast. I have lost the count of times when wind has wrecked my plans at Elan valley and elsewhere.

P.S. I wonder if it would edit out cleanly in the middle part. It would probably take a little too long but I reckon it is doable

Last edited:
It is just another thing you have to check for in the weather forecast. I have lost the count of times when wind has wrecked my plans at Elan valley and elsewhere.

P.S. I wonder if it would edit out cleanly in the middle part. It would probably take a little too long but I reckon it is doable

I think I spend more time checking forecasts and wind speeds than I do shooting and processing.

The Elan Valley reservoirs are quite big. I’ve had them mirror still but it’s not easy

I like the image as it stands.
Compositionally, it sits well with the angle and placement of the house and roof.
The top of the house is clear of the waterline, and the framing is beautiful, from the top LH (hill) to the bottom RH (pasture) being at the intersection.
The water horizon is central, which may have given a great reflective option if the weather was perfect, but in this case a slight wind gave movement in the water.
It appears a lot of thought has gone into this image and it is displayed as such.
Certainly, (if the option permits), a revisit to the same spot - look for the tripod marks - on a calmer day would absolutely nail it!

Would an ND filter to lengthen the exposure thus smoothing the water have helped?

I suppose what you're happy with as photography remember is all subjective and personal.

They don't bother me BUT I can see what the others are saying and having the trees reflected nicely would of made it more pleasing to the eye .

Would an ND filter to lengthen the exposure thus smoothing the water have helped?

I suppose what you're happy with as photography remember is all subjective and personal.

They don't bother me BUT I can see what the others are saying and having the trees reflected nicely would of made it more pleasing to the eye .

Looking at the ripple it's too strong and would have gone opaque - plus the wind could have blurred the foreground grasses which would have been catastophic IMHO. No - the exposure is fine although I might have gone for a slightly shorter exp as the far trees on the left are a little "hot" - but sadly the wind picked up ruining the reflection. It can happen to the best of us. I pick only the stillest days to shoot to avoid this happening.

Back