Deer Studies (+2)

dragonfly

Advertiser
Name
Des
Edit My Images
No
Every year when we visit the park, I make a point of trying to help others look beyond the obvious. Sometimes we succeed, sometimes not. Here are a few from last week's attempt...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:
#2 is a great action shot and #4 is sublime :)

love the fighting deer the intense look in the eyes is brilliant

So much to like Des too much to write down actualy great work !!

Stu

Fantastic set of shots ! number 1 and 4 stand out for me. how did you get such a dark background in number 1 ??

Magnificent Red Stag shot in No1, the rest ain't too shabby either :) :)

Les

Wow, great to see some wildlife photos with genuine artistic merit rather than a generic 'fill the frame and try to make it sharp' approach.

Thank you all for the kind remarks. Here's another in soft gentle morning light.

fallow.jpg

Lovely. Always good to see different takes on deer at this time of year. Easy to get carried along by the obvious shots (and I am as guilty as anyone) but you have done well here. Love that moon image, you'd be hard pressed to repeat it.

They are a cracking set, 4 for me aswell. Although 1 and 5 are great too, how did you get the background so dark in 1?

number 1 for me, crop a LITTLE off the top and that would be a excellent picture

They are a cracking set, 4 for me aswell. Although 1 and 5 are great too, how did you get the background so dark in 1?

Hi Adam, by metering for the highlight and underexposing. The background is a shaded area of the woods so the placement of the deer is perfect for this approach. To get this effect the light condition needs to be right i.e. very harsh/bright. As I often say to my workshop participants - work with the light, whatever the conditions. Hope this helps.

Last one from this year's session... In this shot I'm using the out of focus bracken in the foreground and the darker distant trees to help frame a resting stag. When done successfully, the subject need not be very large to stand out. Just for info, first 4 were taken with the Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 lens while the last two with a 500mm f4.

red.jpg

Back