Delicate style

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
Good morning. I'd like to know, what camera settings did you use to achieve this shot? Because capturing moving subjects is a bit difficult for me.

Good morning. I'd like to know, what camera settings did you use to achieve this shot? Because capturing moving subjects is a bit difficult for me.

I used a Sony a7Riii and a Sony 200-600mm lens hand held- settings as follows:

ISO on Auto - Shutter speed was 1/1600th sec- aperure was f8 White Balance on Auto with a 1/3 stop + Exposure compensation :)

Hope that helps ?

Les :)

Ok thank you. So I'm currently using a NIKON D800, say I want to take a picture of cheetah running. Will my camera be able to capture something similar to what you have or something better or I shouldn't bother myself cause what I want to achieve is impossible?

Ok thank you. So I'm currently using a NIKON D800, say I want to take a picture of cheetah running. Will my camera be able to capture something similar to what you have or something better or I shouldn't bother myself cause what I want to achieve is impossible?

What lens do you use? For a running animal its as much about tracking the animal as it runs along- so shutter speed becomes less imprtant

I have a 50mm lens and a 35mm. Ok thank you.
So does your interest lie in photographing images only or do you take videos? I'm quite interested in your work and looking forward to learn a lot from you.

I have a 50mm lens and a 35mm. Ok thank you.
So does your interest lie in photographing images only or do you take videos? I'm quite interested in your work and looking forward to learn a lot from you.

The lenes you presently use will be of no use for Wildlife- you need a much longer lens to be honset:)

I only shoot Photographs- I have no interest in shooting video's - on a plus note I am happy you are interested in my work- thank you

heres my Flickr account, should you wish to see more?

Thank you for your honesty and time, it really means a lot that you got out of your way to answer some of the questions I had.

I will look into it.

Thank you for your honesty and time, it really means a lot that you got out of your way to answer some of the questions I had.

I will look into it.

My pleasure - happy to help :)

There is a captive bred cheetah centre in Stellenbosch, it used be on the Spier Wine estate where I recall reading that they had a lure running area.....a 50mm with good panning technique might have gotten some useful motion/running shots.

But the centre has moved and the website does not mention running other than in certain public events?

There is a captive bred cheetah centre in Stellenbosch, it used be on the Spier Wine estate where I recall reading that they had a lure running area.....a 50mm with good panning technique might have gotten some useful motion/running shots.

But the centre has moved and the website does not mention running other than in certain public events?

Thank you for your input, now I know which direction to take. I think I'll have to play around with what I have for some time and see what I can come up with.

Thank you for your input, now I know which direction to take. I think I'll have to play around with what I have for some time and see what I can come up with.

Panning is a good technique to learn and develop....with your 50mm lens you can practice the technique by photographing vehicles on a road, runners passing in front of you.......in other words any subject that moves in a predictable way is good to master panning technique. Once learned you can appreciate how and when you can use it.

But as @Lez325 says where wildlife is concerned you will need a longer lens and the minimum to consider is 300mm (a starting point might be a 70-300mm zoom ~ not ideal but it will do the job).

All the best with learning how to get the best from your camera. It can be a lifelong passion :)

Last edited:
Very nice Les

Panning is a good technique to learn and develop....with your 50mm lens you can practice the technique by photographing vehicles on a road, runners passing in front of you.......in other words any subject that moves in a predictable way is good to master panning technique. Once learned you can appreciate how and when you can use it.

But as @Lez325 says where wildlife is concerned you will need a longer lens and the minimum to consider is 300mm (a starting point might be a 70-300mm zoom ~ not ideal but it will do the job).

All the best with learning how to get the best from your camera. It can be a lifelong passion :)

Thank you for your input instead of laughing at someone who's trying out new things in life, someone who has no idea what the real world of photography has to offer. You gave me an answer I was Iooking for in a more professional way, so I thank you for that.

Back