Midlands Derbyshire Dales Drive-Through

Name
Alistair
Edit My Images
No
Due to having to drive home, south from Manchester on Friday, I thought I'd see if I can make the most of the opportunity and stop in a couple of places in the Derbyshire Dales on the way back.
The time of day is not ideal for light by any means as it'll be between 1pm and 4pm, but I'm always keen make the most of a photographic opportunity.

So any suggestions that can sensibly fit on a rough route from Manchester to the M1. I'm pondering taking the A6 then possibly heading Edale towards Hathersage before heading to the M1 via Chesterfield. This could allow taking in Mam Tor or Kinder Scout and the Hope Valley. Is Ladybower worth a stop?
I'm happy to go off the beaten track a little, but I want to be prepared with a couple of places to specifically target as I won't have time to wander for hours.

Anyone got any good pointers?

Cheers

Off the top of my head, the places accessible by car are, the top of Winnatts Pass (short walk across a field from the lay-bys turning left at the top of the pass) the car park at Mam Tor, only 20 minutes to the top and a view across the great ridge or back where the snakes road is, the Derwent Dam, park at Fairholmes car park, Stanage Edge, small lay by at the side or a larger one just below, Surprise View Car Park.
The beauty of the Peak District is that you can get some really good views without having to walk too far.

Edit:
Oops, too late, sorry.
I hope you got some good shots.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Well, I did take the road up to Edale from Chapel-en-le-Frith and went past Mam Tor, though I didn't walk to the top. Had a fun drive down Edale, but skipped going up to Snake Road and Ladybower as I didn't have time. I did stop at Surprise View car park though.
Unfortuneately because I didn't get out of Manchester as early as expected, I didn't have as much time as I'd hoped to stop, walk, shoot, etc. So it did end up being a bit of drive-by-photography. Nevertheless, it was a very nice drive and much more fun than the motorways.

If I got anything decent, I'll post it.

Years ago I lived in Nottingham, but didn't make it into the peaks often and not for photography at all, so it felt like a good opportunity to make up for that.

Back