Derwent valley just after sunrise

I love that - particularly the processing. Indeed it's one of the best English landscape shots I've seen in a long while

It's certainly not lacking in contrast or punch - quick glance at the immediate foreground shows full blacks, colour and contrast. You could de-haze it but why - it would remove all the character from the shot

Embrace the haze - it's part of our weather

Looks nice, has a hazy look but I quite like that.

Thanks Tom.

I love that - particularly the processing. Indeed it's one of the best English landscape shots I've seen in a long while

It's certainly not lacking in contrast or punch - quick glance at the immediate foreground shows full blacks, colour and contrast. You could de-haze it but why - it would remove all the character from the shot

Embrace the haze - it's part of our weather

Thanks Steve, that's very kind of you.

I do have an earlier edit from closer to when I made the shot where I de-hazed it, but the results are pretty garish looking at it now. I definitely prefer the subtle haze.

Nicely seen Nige and well presented I like it as it is.

"Excellent" shot Nige, works very well for me.

Obviously a lot of people like it so feel free to ignore me ...

but I find the distinction between the misty background and the foreground a bit too pronounced and I might actually be tempted to see what it's like with a little haze added to the ground in front of the trees

Yep, I like that, very nice, I am not one for haze but it works here as said.
Living in the Southeast of France haze is a bitch and then some.

but I find the distinction between the misty background and the foreground a bit too pronounced and I might actually be tempted to see what it's like with a little haze added to the ground in front of the trees

I can see what you mean Chris - it's not 'balanced' but the difference does give a better than average sense of depth.

While I don't mind removing things from a photo (within reason), I'm averse to adding things that weren't there. Even if I did so with full transparency on the modification when sharing the final result, it makes me feel a little uncomfortable. It feels a little like comping in a different sky, even if it's a much less substantial change.

I like the light and composition. The background haziness adds depth, but I don't like how the sky goes from hazy at the base to dark at the top as it looks unnatural. I would crop to just leave a little hazy sky above the line of the hills.

Back