Derwent Water and Kelly Hall Tarn

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I managed to get a full day over in the Lake District on Saturday gone, the first in a very long time. Here's a couple of photographs, one from either end of the day.

#1 Dawn at Derwent Water
Derwent Water Dawn by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#2 Golden hour at Kelly Hall Tarn
Kelly Hall Tarn by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

As usual, any comments or feedback (good or bad) most appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon.

love No 2 Simon, shame no clouds. I was just looking at the same shot from Phil Norton with the stones.

Really like 1, I'm not normally a fan of 'stick a rock in the foreground' but that is far more interesting than a rock and deserves to be there against the beautiful atmospheric background :)

edit: I think it works for me as it is not UWA, it actually feels like I might be there looking at it.

Last edited:
I love them both although I had to look at #1 a few times to convince myself as I had a 'would it look better without the rocks' debate. It wouldn't have worked with any other rock, and it wouldn't have worked without such a perfect reflection, but as it is, it does. The light in #2 is sublime. The clear sky makes it - there's nothing there to distract.

Both lovely, really like the contrast in the foreground artwork set against the soft muted tones of the background.

Both nice, especially the second one. We often moan about blue skies as landscape photographers but that shows how well they can work, especially with that blue and gold mix

Both of those are brilliant. The muted colours in one emanate the calm of dawn, it's my favourite of the two. To echo what the others have said I think the rock really adds to the composition; I don't think the composition would have been anywhere as near as good without it.

James

love No 2 Simon, shame no clouds. I was just looking at the same shot from Phil Norton with the stones.

Phil's shot is incredible, and makes it clear that I have a lot to learn!

Really like 1, I'm not normally a fan of 'stick a rock in the foreground' but that is far more interesting than a rock and deserves to be there against the beautiful atmospheric background :)

edit: I think it works for me as it is not UWA, it actually feels like I might be there looking at it.

Thanks Ned. I played around with my composition and how large the stones were in the frame. If it makes you feel like you were there, then I achieved what I was trying to do :)

Both lovely. 2’s light is stunning isn’t it, gives me ‘light envy’ ha

We might not have had any clouds all day, but the light on Saturday was fabulous!

Both lovely, really like the contrast in the foreground artwork set against the soft muted tones of the background.

Thanks Jack :)

Both nice, especially the second one. We often moan about blue skies as landscape photographers but that shows how well they can work, especially with that blue and gold mix

Thanks, glad you like it :)

Both of those are brilliant. The muted colours in one emanate the calm of dawn, it's my favourite of the two. To echo what the others have said I think the rock really adds to the composition; I don't think the composition would have been anywhere as near as good without it.

James

Cheers James.

peaceful and calming

Thanks Mark, glad you like it.

Both beauties.
Always love the conditions in number 1.

Gaz

Cheers Gaz.

Simon.

Both beautiful images!

Was at Kelly Hall Tarn last October, sadly there was noone of that lovely light!

My iPad opened at the bottom, so I scrolled up to see No2 first. No matter what I did in seeing No1, I kept returning to No2. I find the whole capture simply fabulous.
The composition, colour and lighting are sublime. It gives me the emotion of wishing I could be there.
Great work.

Back