Beginner Derwent Water (Updated image)

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
derwent_water_by_engelsman-dbrhs8d.jpg

I went to the Lake District over the weekend. The weather was awful - It tipped down solidly for 2 days and the wind was blowing a gale. I ran in, set my tripod up, took this and ran back to the car in about 5 minutes before I got washed away :p

It is Ashness Jetty on Derwent Water. It's an image I've seen a thousand times already but, with the weather, I wasn't able to properly scout out any other compositions. The fog covered the hills in the background, which I liked, and I think it looked best as a B&W.
ISO100, 17mm, f/11, 1/10s

Any comments or criticism is welcome, please :)

Last edited:
I think it needs more contrast, more punch. There's a nice layering of the background hills which the eye is drawn towards.
Was the sky stormy? I always love shooting b&w with dark stormy skies as they have so much character.

I think it needs more contrast, more punch.

That would lead straight to a striking graphic approach
to the rendition… well worth trying. As is, I think it is a
valid more moody option.

Hi Richard....hope you don't mind but had a quick play with your image to give it a bit more punch. Gone a bit to far with the sky I think but you could do much more with the original image.

View media item 12928

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with @Byker28i. Some wonderful hills in the background that are crying our for some more contrast just to really give them that layered effect.

Compositionally its a nice image and I really love the texture of the water. most people get the 10 stopper on here but I much prefer the water rendered this way (when its possible obviously)

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. I think the general consensus is more contrast.

I'll play around with this a little later and try to bring the hills out a bit more.

Thanks again :)

Edit: I've updated the original image and used the adjustment brush to add some contrast to the hills, sky and jetty. Is this any better? :)

Last edited:
Back