Devils Bridge - Kirkby Lonsdale

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Out on a business trip yesterday (camera always with me), and spotted this scene on the way, so a quick 15 minute stop, and walking boots on etc. All taken on the Olympus OMD-EM1 with my new 7-14 F2.8 Pro

Last edited:
That looks like a lovely spot. #1 is the pick for me. The bridge and the foreground slabs balance each other and even the drab sky is in harmony. There is a slightly odd perspective effect on the far bridge pillar which is too dominent in #2, along with the red life bouy container. Although a necessesity as far too many people seem to lose their lives in water, for me they'e an intrusion in an image. Just personal taste.

Three nice images Andrew, #1 would be my fav' with for me it's better composition, stronger contrast and generally just more impact.(y)

George.

Nice images, and agree that #1 is the stronger image, although I like the slightly lower viewpoint of #3. Is #2 leaning to the left slightly?

Havent been to Devils Bridge in 10 years, but have just rented a cottage in the area for the new year so hopefully will get some snow on the ground and I can pay it another visit.

Thanks all. Yeah I agree the landscape version works best, but I wanted to properly try out the new Olympus 7-14 F2.8 Pro, so wanted to see how close I could get foreground objects to the camera and still be sharp to the background (maximum hyperfocal) @ F8 - the answer - very close !

Last edited:
Lovely, especially no.2 - reckon that might work nice in mono too but you may also want to have a go at correcting some of that distortion :)

A very nice spot. I would be tempted to convert #1 to B&W to see how the mood changed.

Landscape image is fine.

I think if I hear the word keystoning again I will explode but two is in need of it. The 2nd arch looks like its leaning in, and it will be due to the downward angle of your camera distoring the frame. Keeping the camera level on the horizontal and vertical planes eliminates this, or using a tilt shift lens and shifting downwards or upwards

Andy

I hope you come back and tell me it was windy when you took picture 1 ?

Back