DHMO can be fatal :(

Edit My Images
No
With a nod to a post over at DP Review

I just wanted to make everyone aware that an ancient chemical has of late been identified as being more dangerous than anyone before has realised.

DHMO or dihydrogen monoxide

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues "be careful out there"

;)

A link would be useful, preferably one that doesn't have April the 1st on it.

Inhalation should definitely be avoided if at all possible (and excessive consumption orally can be dangerous too.)

I understand you can use it for cleaning your teeth just don't swallow

laughter-really-is-the-best-medicine-L-rfO6kp.jpg

I've heard the detrimental effects of excessive consumption can be almost totally alleviated if the volume of DHMO consumed followed by a similar amount of beer, cider, wine etc. :)

Dave

One effect of DHMO on the environment that I spotted just today. It's outrageous that more research isn't being done into this particular issue!

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1012555.jpg

A link would be useful, preferably one that doesn't have April the 1st on it.

This is where it was mentioned
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4411164

That thread started as "are inkjets inks toxic" and also reminded me of the warning on the 22litre containers of Isotone (a diluent for the blood samples used to count the different blood cell types in the Coulter Counters) we used on the haemotology in the '70's "poisonous if ingested" but the senior technician commented that what they don't say how much you would have to drink i.e. about 100litres.........the gag reflex would kick in long before you could drink enough to be injurious.

But I digress, bear in mind almost anything that we see as innocuous can be harmful if taken in large enough quantities. Even Vitamin A will kill you as early arctic explorers found out (though without checking the date Vit A was discovered, they likely didn't know it was VitA poisoning) by eating the polar bear livers as a principal meat!!!

Last edited:
Not sure where I remember it from (or even if I remember it correctly) but I have a feeling that a couple of gallons (around 10 litres) can be enough DHMO to be lethal to humans.

You can safely drink it if you dilute it with C9H16O2

Or C2H6O.

Mind you if you don't dilute it, then C9H16O2 (orC2H6O) will definitely kill you.

Last edited:
VERY small quantities won't (but it does burn a bit in the mouth! - NOT an experiment I intend to repeat!!!)

Isn't everything lethal in certain amounts?
Even water.

Back