Different tastes

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I went to a trail race today and positioned myself in a wood to snap the runners as they came through. First few went by and I wasn't happy with the results. Ran to a different spot and … too ordinary. Stopped at a drinks station in the hope of something different. Quite a few images I'm chuffed with, yet the response from the runners has been thin on the ground. Need to remember that I'm taking them for me?

Water Station.jpg

Last edited:
Response ? What from competitors or us (photographers)

Competitors. Sorry, I'm a bit obtuse at times.
I assumed that’s what you were talking about.

I only do action type sports, but generally if I offer what I think is the “best” and I always throw in a douzen or so “boring” shots, 90% of the time the “boring” ones get posted.

I just think it’s the difference between us being “artistic” or trying to get something out of the norm and the general public looking for that “snap shot”
Obviously this is a massive generalisation but hope I make sense.

Just do what you think is right, what you like, you only need to compromise if your selling or covering the event and then not always.
Thing to remember, we put a bucket load of time and money into this, gear, travel, editing, uploading, posting but to jo public it’s click a button a few times and done, so we will always have more attachment.

As amateurs, I wonder if we impose on ourselves the need to represent as many competitors as possible in events such as these. I appreciate that pro's lile Tony (Kipax) will find such an approach potentially more lucrative but from a photographic point of view, many of the shots become "same'ish".
I covered two days of a cycle race last year and ended up posting 80 shots of the time trial....essentially a cyclist whizzing past the same point on the route. For the same race this year, just 9 photos in the gallery from two days shooting. Instead of showing what the competitors can do, it's more a case of showing what the photographer can do.

Back