Diffused the ringflash in a Georgish way...

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I had a go with some of the packing stuff George suggested getting from B&Q and this is how it is stuck on:

1) is black insulation tape covering the inner section of the wall of the ring which is transparent
2) is the stuff from B&Q held ion place by plenty of tape around the outside edge of the flash frame.

IMG_20150305_205406 by Paul Iddon (www.pauliddon.co.uk), on Flickr

So next are 8 uncropped photo's taken with it in place. I haven't cropped in to any of them, and just tweaked the clarity, contrast and exposure levels a touch in Lightroom. The largest subject is the small spider in #7, which was about 3mm to 4mm approx, the others you'll have a good idea of their sizes, all being smaller - #1 & #2 and #5 are about 2mm ( 2 different spiders in these shots).

10240a.jpg

10241a.jpg

10242a.jpg

10243a.jpg

10244a.jpg

10245a.jpg

10246a.jpg

10247a.jpg

Look better?

Paul.

Last edited:
100% better than bare flash, would like to see the effect in a spiders eye or something a little more reflective... light is definitely gentler.

Can see some uses for this setup over mine in certain situations.

100% better than bare flash, would like to see the effect in a spiders eye or something a little more reflective... light is definitely gentler.

Can see some uses for this setup over mine in certain situations.

At least they look pretty uniform. Deffo a step up from before.

Paul.

At least they look pretty uniform. Deffo a step up from before.

Paul.

Mate when shooting against a wall or flat object or covered object this would be perfect as over the top just hits the object and doesn't light the subject.

So glad the lighting seems to be an improvement Paul, you've used quite a bit more material on your ring flash than I have on mine. I haven't completely surrounded mine as there are a couple of focus lights on the unit I use that I didn't want to cover.(y)

I guess it'll not be long before B&Q latch onto us lot and start putting this material on the shelves and charging for it.

George.ish:D

So glad the lighting seems to be an improvement Paul, you've used quite a bit more material on your ring flash than I have on mine. I haven't completely surrounded mine as there are a couple of focus lights on the unit I use that I didn't want to cover.(y)

I guess it'll not be long before B&Q latch onto us lot and start putting this material on the shelves and charging for it.

George.ish:D

Thanks Mr Ish :D

It's a start at least my friend.

Paul.

Nice shots Paul, and no cropping, geez I got my Tokina too early :(
Lighting looks ok to me.

Mate IMHO this is a great companion to your Tokina and probably the best way to learn how to use this lens. :)
I could buy one, I have the money but need to save for my long awaited (and very over due) trip back to blighty in July.

Back