digiKam 7.0-rc released

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
The release candidate for digiKam version 7.0 has been released. Link here. I have tested this on a Windows 10 virtual machine, with my photo archive (currently maintained on digiKam 6.4) and it seems thoroughly functional and stable. Version 7.0 is scheduled for final release on 12th July. The big benefit for me is that 7.0 fully supports Canon CR3 format.

The release candidate for digiKam version 7.0 has been released. Link here. I have tested this on a Windows 10 virtual machine, with my photo archive (currently maintained on digiKam 6.4) and it seems thoroughly functional and stable. Version 7.0 is scheduled for final release on 12th July. The big benefit for me is that 7.0 fully supports Canon CR3 format.
I trialled a copy of digiKam a while ago but I did not get on with it, so I uninstalled it.
Despite using an uninstaller program (Revo Uninstaller) I was finding pieces of digiKam code scattered over my hard drive for ages afterwards.
I am interested in reviewing DigiKam again (I am mostly interested in it's DAM features) and I noticed with the previous version I tried, the download site said dK is optimised for Linux, and would not necessarily give optimum performance on Windows.
Does this warning still apply? I cannot see anything that gives a warning about the Operating System on the download site.

I use Digikam on windows 10 running an i5-2500 with out any issues. It is as good as light-room as a DAM, In fact I prefer it. I do not use the facial recognition side at all and can't see the need to recognize pets.

I use Digikam on windows 10 running an i5-2500 with out any issues. It is as good as light-room as a DAM, In fact I prefer it. I do not use the facial recognition side at all and can't see the need to recognize pets.
Thanks.
Maybe it's time to give the new version a trial.

I noticed with the previous version I tried, the download site said dK is optimised for Linux, and would not necessarily give optimum performance on Windows.
Does this warning still apply? I cannot see anything that gives a warning about the Operating System on the download site.

The warning is still there. I downloaded it to see what all the fuss is about :) It seems nicely put together but would probably take me a while to get used to. There's a warning that it works best on Linux and maybe not so great on Windows - but so far it seems fine.

The warning is still there. I downloaded it to see what all the fuss is about :) It seems nicely put together but would probably take me a while to get used to. There's a warning that it works best on Linux and maybe not so great on Windows - but so far it seems fine.
Ah, Thanks. I still haven't gotten around to downloading it,
There's always "uninstall" if I'm not happy with it, but last time I did that there seemed to be bits of residual program all over the place.

Back