digiKam 7.0 released

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
digiKam 7.0 has been released - announcement details here. The new feature I was most looking forward to is full support of Canon CR3 format, but there are lots of other changes including a major upgrade to the facial recognition system. Windows (32 or 64-bit), Mac and Linux versions can be downloadeed from here.

I organise my media archive by date (so files are stored in a directory hierarchy: \<year>\<month>\<day>\ - so a picture I took today would be in \2020\08\01) and I use digiKam to tag them with keywords, like the name of species depicted (and keywords can be organise hierarchically to an arbitrary deph - so I tag with order/family/genus/species), and to geocode the files. It automatically extracts info about camera, exposure, lens, etc. from the EXIF and other metadata. I store photos, videos and audio files (I do quite a bit of wildlife sound recording) in the same archive. I find digiKam absoltutely perfect for this and it supports quite a range of database engines to store the info (I use SQlite). My archive currently contains over 24,000 files (going back to 2003) and, say, I want to look through photos of hoverflies, taken since 2017 using my 100mm macro lens within 10 miles of home, I can find all the files matching those criteria pretty much instantaneously!

Yes. DigiKam is unbeatable as a serious DAM photo manager. I'm looking forward to using v7.

Back