Digital signature query

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
I am trying to electronically sign a document but its asking for my driving licence AND some details off the old counterpart which I have destroyed as DVLA asked me to do years ago, is there anywhere online I can see my counterpart, I have spent a good hour googling and searching but cannot find anything to do with the counterpart apart from it is no longer available or required, yet I need mine for the counterpart number and mailsort number????

I am trying to electronically sign a document but its asking for my driving licence AND some details off the old counterpart which I have destroyed as DVLA asked me to do years ago, is there anywhere online I can see my counterpart, I have spent a good hour googling and searching but cannot find anything to do with the counterpart apart from it is no longer available or required, yet I need mine for the counterpart number and mailsort number????
The DVLA website can give you all the driving details from your counterpart licence, if you tell them you want to drive abroad.

It might help.

Failing that, what’s the source of the document you need to electronically sign, maybe the answer is to go back to them for an alternative solution.

I have searched DVLA and cant seem to find any info on it Phil, it just says its no longer required.

This page allows you to get details from your counterpart licence, but I still say, if details from your licence that aren’t available are required by a service, I’d go back to those service providers.

That's one of the pages I am searching but there is no counterpart info Phil, cheers for looking though.

That's one of the pages I am searching but there is no counterpart info Phil, cheers for looking though.
The pdf I have from there looks a lot like my counterpart, but obviously I don’t know exactly what details you’re missing.

The counterpart number and mailsort number, the one I did was really basic, may try again did you print or view it please

This page allows you to get details from your counterpart licence, but I still say, if details from your licence that aren’t available are required by a service, I’d go back to those service providers.

The paper counterpart as such no longer exists..................therefore any organisation asking for information only contained on that is way out of date with 'protocol'.

Is the that organisation 'kosker' so to speak???

PS I kept my paper part and comparing it to the photocsrd there are 4 unique numbers - the form serial number, a human readable barcode, 12 digit number & the post office 5 digit number near the address. How the heck are any of these verifiable (apart from the address code?) by a third party.......unless it is a government department???

PPS none of those unique items are on the "now" available method of sharing your DL info with third parties having a right to see them such as a car hire company! So as DVLA said we could dispose of the paper part.........why are you being asked to provide such info???

Last edited:
Its for a car finance company, I have now been in touch and they just asked me to email a photo of my licence and they have said that part of the application is dated and will be changed soon to avoid this in future, its only to check I have a full licence to buy the car.

Glad you got it sorted.
It's always puzzled me, the need for license proof, since no license is required to purchase a car.

Think its to do with them knowing the car is insured by a competent driver, that's a condition of sale...…..fully comp insurance for the duration of the loan

Just checked and yes a full licence is required by nearly all finance companies, including the company I am using and I want this company to finance my new car as its very low rate so I will just do what they ask

I am certain I destroyed it, this one has my old dates on before I had to renew for the 10 year photo update so probably killed the current one.

Its for a car finance company, I have now been in touch and they just asked me to email a photo of my licence and they have said that part of the application is dated and will be changed soon to avoid this in future, its only to check I have a full licence to buy the car.

Confirmation of the type and scope of 'classes' of vehicle you are permitted to drive all available by using the DVLA share code.......that company process are many years out of date and possibly because of that not GDPR compliant!!!! :(

Just checked and yes a full licence is required by nearly all finance companies, including the company I am using and I want this company to finance my new car as its very low rate so I will just do what they ask

Yes, required for finance, but required for the purchase of a car.
Anyhoo....you got it sorted in the end. :)

Yes, required for finance, but required for the purchase of a car.
Anyhoo....you got it sorted in the end. :)

Is there a "not" missing from that post, Ruth? I didn't have a license when I bought my car but that was a cash deal.

Is there a "not" missing from that post, Ruth? I didn't have a license when I bought my car but that was a cash deal.
Oops, yes...not required for the purchase of a car. (y)

Back