Wales Dinorwic Parking In Danger

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Just seen this on Facebbok, posted by Angus Killie Climbing, this is not good news if it goes ahead:

"In the last fifty years or so the Dinorwig Slate Quarries, once pits of large-scale environmental destruction and human exploitation, have gradually been reclaimed by nature and rediscovered over and over by human visitors. You can explore the other-worldliness of the quarries as a hill walker, dog walker, cyclist, photographer or climber; it's a remarkably accessible adventure amongst unique natural (and unnatural) beauty.
Gwynedd Council have drafted plans to limit access to the quarries by putting parking restrictions in place. You might think that
Cyngor Gwynedd Council
would want to encourage tourism and access to the outdoors for everyone, but they have a strange way of going about it. They are giving us the opportunity to express our views on these plans over a 28 day period, which began when they posted a notice at the parking at the beginning of a 17 day lockdown, misspelled the contact email address and put no information online. Having contacted them, their given reasons for these plans are "parking problems" which they plan to solve by drastically reducing the available parking (see picture).
If you would like to voice your opinion on this you can contact marielynnewilliams@gwynedd.llyw.cymru. It would be worth mentioning the historical significance of this local asset, the importance to those of reduced mobility, the variety of interests the quarries accommodate, the absolute irony and some synonyms for 'ridiculous'."

The email address, once again, is - MarieLynneWilliams@gwynedd.llyw.cymru

There is a map on the Facebook post that shows double yellow lines planned for the long road leading to the 'bus stop' parking area. Absolutely ridiculous idea - I will be emailing my concerns to the council there.

The facebook page link is here : View: https://www.facebook.com/anguskilleclimbing/posts/214834300059844

1605634571039.png

Is this place accessable? I'd have thought it was fenced off.
Looks an amazing place.

Is this place accessable? I'd have thought it was fenced off.
Looks an amazing place.

yes it is accessible, it is used extensively by walkers, photographers, climbers etc.

I remember going there while I was at uni. Back then (which is longer ago then I want to admit) its was strangely beautiful.

Councils in Wales have gone completely stupid, got money from Cardiff to try to stifle car movements creating zones for socially distant pedestrians and cycle lanes and it has been casuing chaos in towns like Ruthin where it is now a 1-way system - and some businesses are suffering because delivery lorries can't get round. Need to get the good people of Llanberis and Snowdonia to revolt, they might not enjoy rows of cars parked on the roads but the good people of North Wales depend on tourist money.

Unfortunately this has been caused by the pandemic ,the weekend before the first lockdown which coincided with good weather led to a excess of people swarming the whole of north wales . And just dumping there vehicles anywhere blocking the whole road system . And when the lockdown was lifted once again a overload of visitors simply swarmed the area .
The councils have imho over reacted but what else can they do till a normal holiday pattern can be resumed ,it was the perfect storm summer ,good weather ,few foreign holidays,kids off,people off work . .
We are also having to now deal with the rise of the motor home staycationers who can fill a coastal car park up without putting a penny into the local economy .

i kind of feel for the locals on this one, mass tourists that descend on an area that bring nothing to the area.
they bring their own tea sarnies and just come and go, yeah i think a reasonable parking charge is reasonable.
up to £5 for a full day seems to be about the going rate.

Sadly Jeff/the black fox is right - there has been considerable abuse of parking at Dinorwig terminus (and other places in Snowdonia) in recent months (I am 15 min from Dinorwig and have friends who live there). Motorhomes have been using Dinorwig for ages, and poor parking has increased. Other areas eg the north end of Llyn Padarn are similar. Unless people are prepared to have a Plan B and drive somewhere else if their preferred spot is already full, such issues will continue and the local response will be negative.

i kind of feel for the locals on this one, mass tourists that descend on an area that bring nothing to the area.
they bring their own tea sarnies and just come and go, yeah i think a reasonable parking charge is reasonable.
up to £5 for a full day seems to be about the going rate.

On a lesser scale it is the same issue up here. The answer is of course to invest in road upgrades, making more parking spaces etc.

We see it on Skye...campervans everywhere and it is a problem

The current system under normal conditions copes quite well I’ve never had a problem parking anywhere in the area ... but it’s not been a normal year , and if I was in charge I certainly would not invest millions on infrastructure that won’t be used once most of this years idjits return to Benidorm and Ibiza etc

The decision is not to restrict parking at Dinorwic Terminus (in the face of a very large number of objections to the proposals) but there is to be further consideration of how to deal with inconsiderate parking. So good news, and the onus is on us all to behave responsibly.

The decision is not to restrict parking at Dinorwic Terminus (in the face of a very large number of objections to the proposals) but there is to be further consideration of how to deal with inconsiderate parking. So good news, and the onus is on us all to behave responsibly.

Yep, had the same email today, good news

Back