Wild Divided Opinions(Black Shouldered Kite)

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
This one may split opinions on here but for some reason i really like it.I was sat for about 16hrs in a non baited hide hoping this bird would turn up and it did a few times during the 16hrs. The sun was setting straight across from my position and behind a large tree. As it set i was getting massive lens flair, partly as i had only taken 1 section of the 2 piece 600mm f4 hood. I thought my time was up as this was my last day and just before packing away i looked through the lens again and as the sun had already set i wasn't getting the lens flair any more. I decided to wait a few minutes more and luck came together for me as this bird landed for about 2 mins-enough time to try and get focus and composition and take a couple of shots. The light is the afterburner from the sun through the tree opposite me. I think as it was such a hard image to get that i like it all the more but understand other may not like it. It has some noise but for now i haven't run it through any noise reduction but may do so at a later date if i still like it. There are only around 50 known pairs in the full of Spain i believe and this was one of 5 pairs in around a 200 mile radius.

Night time kite by Mark Molloy, on Flickr

I like it. It has a lot more character than most bird photographs seen on here. You should have the confidence to make more of it.

I wonder if a different crop would work? I'm wondering if the the very highly over-exposed highlights could be cropped or toned down? Just thinking aloud really.

Black-winged kite is not quite as rare as you think, though. I believe there more than 50 pairs in France now, and they have also spread quite widely in Spain in recent years.

Yip looks like now there may be over 500 pairs in Spain now, first foubd breeding there in the 1970s. Info recieved looks to be out of date now.

I increased the brightness of the highlights to add depth to the image and show the depth between the light and dark areas often seen after the sun gas set behind the horizon. I didnt crop much as i had already set my compisition, cropping would increase the noise as well hence not doing that for now. What crop do you think would work and i will have a look. Cheers for the detailed reply.

I have to agree with the others - this is wonderful. :cool:

I think it's a very unique shot as well because it's not one that someone would be likely to try and copy. (y)

16 hours ? True dedication and I’m very pleased for you that you got the shot. Good to have got its head turned . Well done.

I got a piece of paper and cropped out the sun on the right side from a line above M for Mark and ,for me, it makes a positive difference without ‘squeezing’ it . Maybe try that, Mark and see what you think. I suppose you could do an actual crop and if it doesn’t appeal ‘undo’ crop. I noted that you included that brightness to gain contrast but I just find it too much on the right side.I wouldn’t think a limited crop like that would increase noise to any noticeable level and I’ve found that trying to tone down bright sunlight (Jeremy’s suggestion) doesn’t work at all well, it starts to go grey. If that crop is too much for you how about back to the second ‘l’ of your signature ? A compromise.

I don't normally comment on the bird threads on here, but this is a really great image! That background complements the shot really well.

Yip looks like now there may be over 500 pairs in Spain now, first foubd breeding there in the 1970s. Info recieved looks to be out of date now.

I increased the brightness of the highlights to add depth to the image and show the depth between the light and dark areas often seen after the sun gas set behind the horizon. I didnt crop much as i had already set my compisition, cropping would increase the noise as well hence not doing that for now. What crop do you think would work and i will have a look. Cheers for the detailed reply.

I don't have any strong opinions really, apart from a strong-ish one that the bright highlight on the rhs is too bright. Other than that just have a play! Actually, I'm sucker for a panorama, even on bird portraits so I would definitely try that...... and maybe it would work as a square crop, with the bird towards the bottom left hand corner?

Back