Diving kingfisher

What a shot! You won't get one like that for some time me thinks. Well done!

Den
Not a huge amount to tell to be honest. The camera settings are shown on the Flickr page ( I never understand why people hide them) in this case it was shot at 1/6400 at f4. Focal length 160mm ISO 5000 on a 1dx mk ii. I was in a hide and had pre focussed on what I thought would be the flight path. When I am trying for this shot If I only have one camera I ignore the arrival on the branch until after the dive. After he came back with the fish I then focussed on the branch and got this shot. I am not too pleased with it as the branch cuts the bird. Believe me I have plenty of blank frames and half birds, these things move light lightning. Hope this helps, if there is anything else you wish to know please ask.
Kingfishers by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Superb capture with the first.They don't always sit where you'd like them to do they..lol. Still a very good shot.

Wow,Now that diving shot is something very special. It certainly highlights the remarkable agility of this beautiful bird. I shall be trying for a decent kingfisher shot this year. Can you recommend any hides for hire?
Thanks for sharing Gordon.

Hi Roger
I have used one in the midlands, I now use one in Hampshire, I also know of one in Scotland and in Somerset. If you let me know what part of the country you are in I will dig out the details of the nearest one for you.

Hi Roger
I have used one in the midlands, I now use one in Hampshire, I also know of one in Scotland and in Somerset. If you let me know what part of the country you are in I will dig out the details of the nearest one for you.

Hi Gordon,
Thank you, I live in kings lynn,west Norfolk. Many thanks for you help.☺️

The first is certainly a moment (literally) in time captured very well. On my monitor, it looks a little contrasty but that's just personal taste I think. Even in a hide such as this (I've done it too and I would do it again) it's not an easy thing to capture involving some planning and pre-empting. Well done. (y)

You've already mentioned the branch cutting the bird in the second image and I see the pole used to support the perches too but the bird itself is tack sharp and is a lovely enough capture.:)

Rojerj
I have not been to any hides in your area but a quick google search brought this one up.
www.norfolk-wildlife-photography.co.uk/kingfisher-photography-course
There are probably other people on this forum who maybe able to recommend hides close to you.
The hide near me in Hampshire does not charge you if it is a no show for the bird, he also lets you cancel at short notice and does everything he can to ensure you get good results. Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall that others on here have recommended him. His website is www.petewhieldonphotography.co.uk/ he is a really nice chap.
Hope this helps

Back