DIY Help, how to plug this hole?

Name
Edit My Images
No
Ok, just moved into my new house, yay, but the previous owner left me this lttle treat. Where he had the tv hung from the chimney breast it looks like he just hammered a hole through it for the cables. This is probable a bit too large for polyfiller! So whats the best way to sort it out?
Its brick all the way through and maybe 3 inches or so around.

^^^ as Paul said but leave it just a little shallow and finish off with Polyfilla when set.

Put your TV there too if its convenient, if not I often use the Polyfilla external filler for jobs like this

expanding-foam-filler-500ml_2015.png

Crunch up some paper, ram it in until you only have a wee hole, then get out your polyfilla!

I wouldn't use expanding foam on something like that. Do as @Nod suggests or just find a bit of brick in the garden or a skip that's roughly right, put that in with a bit of sand and cement mortar leaving it set back about 10mm and then a couple of layers of filler on top.

As it is on the chimmney breast it's probably not to deep to go through to chimmney itself but if you have a gas fire etc might be worth checking how deep it goes in case any fumes leak from it.

Where he had the tv hung from the chimney breast it looks like he just hammered a hole through it for the cables.
As it is on the chimmney breast it's probably not to deep to go through to chimmney
I suspect that it might from Ash's post :(

As it is on the chimmney breast it's probably not to deep to go through to chimmney itself but if you have a gas fire etc might be worth checking how deep it goes in case any fumes leak from it.

a quick check with a Co2 monitor will confirm this one way or tother. ;)
but once it is filled there will be no fumes!

As Nod says a broken block or part of a brick. Fix with cement then skim over with polyfilla.

Do not use expanding foam it is not suitable for what you are doing. Do not use paper either, Chimney breasts can get fairly warm. Use a filler but do it in layers, starting at the bottom and going up, as opposed to starting at the back and going forward.

Cheers for the replies peeps. From what I can see it goes all the way through into the chimney cavity. But I'm not planning on putting a fire of any type in there.

If it does actually go through to the chimney flue, get it sorted properly. If you bodge it and there is a problem down the line, you could be held responsible. Future occupants might want to use the chimney.

If you bodge it and there is a problem down the line, you could be held responsible. Future occupants might want to use the chimney.
I should imagine he'll be OK as long as he doesn't sign his repair :rolleyes:

Cheers for the replies peeps. From what I can see it goes all the way through into the chimney cavity. But I'm not planning on putting a fire of any type in there.

This.

However tempting to do a bodged up quick job, don't end up being morally or legally responsible for some future house fire that might kill the occupants if your repair catches fire if the chimney starts being used.

I should imagine he'll be OK as long as he doesn't sign his repair :rolleyes:
It won't be hard to insert a part brick and do the job neither. Anything else is just a bodge.

Use a filler but do it in layers, starting at the bottom and going up, as opposed to starting at the back and going forward.
This is a cracking tip. I'll remember that one myself for future repairs. Cheers

It won't be hard to insert a part brick and do the job neither. Anything else is just a bodge.
Sorry yes I was just being flippant / trying to be clever. :LOL:

Back