weekly dmb's 52 for 2018 (Wk 30 - Cook) and over and out.

:agree: great shot.

Wet - good shot and on theme, perhaps a polarising filter would help bring out more of the red and less reflection, but that's only crit really. (y)

Hi David,

Heavy - Nicely taken that shot, and I'll take your word for it's strength. I agree with the comments that the background add to the image.
Wet - Again, nicely done. Guessing you've waxed your car to get the beads of water like that?
Ah, just read the comments about the car being new and that you have cleaned it recently :)

Great shot for this week David!

David

Nice Image, not sure how you got the flame there and so big. Well on Theme.

Pete

Week 13 - Oval

Oval Revolutions

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

I was working on something similar just before the theme came out. Tweaked the physics a bit to get a better oval.

Two colour changing LEDs rotating round each other at the end of a 5ft pendulum swinging in an oval. Time exposure from below.

Very clever bit of light painting, great colours in front of a deep black background (y)

That's nailed it, got the theme exactly and well executed :clap:

Brilliant shot and great thinking. Fire and Ice didnt come into my head at all, good job David.

Also well done on getting an original idea in early for Oval, Ive not even got a clue for that one yet!

Have tried this before not as easy as you think to get a decent result you have done well

Hi David,

Juxtaposition - Very unusual and well executed. I suspect you won't have had 'lots' of time to get that set up!

Oval - not seen light painting on here for a long time. That's a nice example :)

Juxtaposition - brilliant image perfect take on the theme nicely set up.

Oval - Nice colourful image I find it really pulls you in

Juxtaposition

I like what you've done here. I had a similar idea but wasn't sure how to achieve it. I think by putting the flame behind the ice you've made a great juxtaposition.

Oval

Very colourful and inventive.

Juxtapostiion - great idea for the theme, works really well.
Oval - good piece of light painting I like it

Thanks for all the comments folks.

@seaodyssey @Nostromo - The flame is actually within the pile of ice (scraped off freezer) and is a small burning lump of solid white camping fuel (meta fuel aka hexamine)
@LC2 - Correct somewhat time limited

Interesting idea for the theme, the camera seems to work well

Some crackers in this thread :)

Reactions: dmb
Hi David,

Juxtaposition - Very well done. I wondered if this was two images but on a second look I changed my mind as there seems to be a glow through the ice.
Oval - Nice black bg and lovely bright colours. Very tricky to do the spinning and get an oval shape. Did you do the spinning as well?
Straight - Different take and well spotted. Good symmetry. Interesting to see what it might have looked like from a bit lower down

:D

Hi David,

Juxtaposition - Very well done. I wondered if this was two images but on a second look I changed my mind as there seems to be a glow through the ice.
Oval - Nice black bg and lovely bright colours. Very tricky to do the spinning and get an oval shape. Did you do the spinning as well?
Straight - Different take and well spotted. Good symmetry. Interesting to see what it might have looked like from a bit lower down

:D
The ice and fire is a single shot. Solid camping fuel burning amongst the ice on a steel sheet.

The oval is looking up at a 5ft long pendulum suspended from the bathroom ceiling. Two LED colour change tealights attached to either end of a pencil tied to bottom of pendulum. The lights were not same distance from the suspension and were balanced with blu-tak and coins. Spin the pencil, swing pendulum. Turn off the lights and having already focussed give it 30 seconds at f/8.

Could not get much lower as the paved area is not that big and at the store exit of ASDA.

Last edited:
Week 15 - Unattractive

Unattractive_at_any_price

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

At first I though these charity shop offerings were covered in cornflakes. Seems they are dried hydrangea petals, still hideous and I hate glitter. So, even a £3.99, they are staying on the shelf.

straight - great simple shot
unattractive - not only unattractive but they don't even look comfortable to wear! Great find!

Goods heavens, they ARE unattractive. I'm surprised the shop are only offering you £3.99 to take them away :)

Reactions: LC2
Back