weekly dmb's 52 for 2018 (Wk 30 - Cook) and over and out.

dmb

Edit My Images
No
Getting ready again -

This year main aim (apart from posting on theme and on time) is to comment on a minimum of 10% of each weeks entries.

To this end I have a rota for all 62 (minus me) of you (as of 17 Jan) and you will get a visit at least once every 7 weeks. Unless I see something that so delights or dismays me that I can't help it (or if i get bored some night).

Everyone's entries

• Week 0 - 30 Dec 17 - Your Area
  • Week 1 - 4 Jan 18 - Gate(d)
  • Week 2 - 11 Jan 18 - People
  • Week 3 - 18 Jan 18 - Stark
  • Week 4 - 25 Jan 18 - Over
  • Week 5 - 1 Feb 18 - Ageing
  • Week 6 - 8 Feb 18 - Sharp
  • Week 7 - 15 Feb 18 - Guarded
  • Week 8 - 22 Feb 18 - Thick
  • Week 9 - 1 Mar 18 - Abundance
  • Week 10 - 8 Mar 18 - Heavy
  • Week 11 - 15 Mar 18 - Wet
  • Week 12 - 22 Mar 18 - Juxtaposition
  • Week 13 - 29 Mar 18 - Oval
  • Week 14 - 5 Apr 18 - Straight
  • Week 15 - 12 Apr 18 - Unattractive
  • Week 16 - 19 Apr 18 - Shadow
  • Week 17 - 26 Apr 18 - Beautiful
  • Week 18 - 3 May 18 - Low
  • Week 19 - 10 May 18 - Match
  • Week 20 - 17 May 18 - Music/musical
  • Week 21 - 24 May 18 - Hard
  • Week 22 - 31 May 18 - Creatures
  • Week 23 - 7 Jun 18 - Synthetic
  • Week 24 - 14 Jun 18 - Rural
  • Week 25 - 21 Jun 18 - Bright
  • Week 26 - 28 Jun 18 - Elegant
    Week 27 - 5 Jul 18 - Derelict
  • Week 28 - 12 Jul 18 - Home
  • Week 29 - 19 Jul 18 - Round
  • Week 30 - 26 Jul 18 - Cook

Calling it a day on the 52. I will be around in other parts of TP though, if you are brave enough to enter the portals of Film and Conventional?
-

Last edited:
Week 0 - Your Area

Until my back improves a bit more ( I bent down to put eggs into a shopping trolley on Saturday!) my local area is as far as I can hobble round the house with my walking stick. So doing a little research on family history and the locality I was born and grew up in. So a tabletop shot I'm afraid and I was not fighting with tripods and lighting stands etc. - so a bounced on camera flash is all you are getting.

Local Area Research

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Nothing wrong with bounced flash, works well here and I haven't seen one of the Silva compasses with the metal bezel for a long time, nice composition for the theme.

Ouch ouch ouch.
works well for the theme, liking the inclusion of the old map and a compass. It looks like an old Silva such as we used in scouts when I were a lad.
I would say it came out as a good image without knowing the restrictions placed on you, and am even more impressed given them.

Nothing wrong with any of that shot, I like the context as well as the composition, lighting is great to.

An interesting collection of items nicely presented well done especially as you are suffering. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Welcome back to the 52, David, and good luck with your next one!

Sorry to hear about your back; it sounds painful so well done for getting an image for the practice week. It meets the theme perfectly well and I like the random placement of the items, as though you had just stood up from your research to take the photo.

I hope you are on the mend very soon.

Nice take on the theme David I like the way you've laid the items out on the dark wood of the table top they really stand out.

Thanks for the comments folks (@Dave70D , @sirch , @LC2 , @Dark Knight , @Pinkbikerbabe , @Hertsman ,@minx ,@Manxmaid , @Downton Mini ) and good wishes for my back, which is improving quite well. A couple of you mentioned the metal bezel Silva compass, have had that from when I joined the Boys' Brigade 50 years ago, the aluminium ring means it needs no liquid to damp the needle which is why it is still going after several plastic bezel models have gone in the bin.

Week 1 - Gate(d)

This week my inner nerd and packrat nature won out. Did have to move the tripod and light-stand around but, crosses fingers, back has not complained yet.

So this week meet a CD4011BCN Quad 2-input NAND Gate, which is a spare chip from an Acorn Atom computer I built in 1980. Someday I'll get round to repairing the computer itself which had a bad case of 'chips frying tonight' when the power supply failed in the middle of me writing my MSc thesis.

CD4011BCN Quad 2-Input NAND Gate

Cosina 100mm f2.8 macro lens on Canon 450D. Lit by two continuous LED lamps, daylight and warm white.

Last edited:
That was one of the ideas I had for this theme (except for a 74LS00 because I'm sure I've got one somewhere :)) good idea to include the text, needless to say I think it's an excellent take on the theme (y)

Reactions: dmb
Well, that's all a bit nerdy for me :) but it's always good to see a different take on the theme and it was interesting to read your explanation. Three things grab my attention in this; first the word 'Gate', then the item in the middle that I assume is the actual gate, and finally the reflections in the round item, which is a good addition and seems to anchor the scene. I'm not sure whether the other bits at the edges were needed but they add to the sense of something that has been disassembled, which I think was your plan, and I like the even lighting so it was worth lugging the lights around (y)

Glad your back is improving, too.

Welcome back David

Your area ... good take. .... would like to see the items bunched up and the camera in close.

Gated ... good take again (not that I really get it!) .... yucky dirty bits.

Nerdiness is always cool, but only if I undertsand it....;)
Not sure I do on this one, but I like the shot anyways.....

Hehe, I like that. A picture of a gate (or to be fair, many many gates) where you can't actually see them. Very clever.
Maybe you can sell your design to Intel. ;)
Anyway, I like the detail you've captured in the shot and think the other components around the chip work well in the shot.

Week 1 - Gate(d)

This week my inner nerd and packrat nature won out. Did have to move the tripod and light-stand around but, crosses fingers, back has not complained yet.

So this week meet a CD4011BCN Quad 2-input NAND Gate, which is a spare chip from an Acorn Atom computer I built in 1980. Someday I'll get round to repairing the computer itself which had a bad case of 'chips frying tonight' when the power supply failed in the middle of me writing my MSc thesis.

CD4011BCN Quad 2-Input NAND Gate

Cosina 100mm f2.8 macro lens on Canon 450D. Lit by two continuous LED lamps, daylight and warm white.
That takes be back a few years, I must get my soldering iron and BC109's out!
Great idea, well done.

I must say I like the lateral thinking involved in “gated” it very much appeals to my inner geek. Good luck with the back I can very much sympathise with you in that respect :)

I think the two random bits on the right add nothing to the composition you are probably sick of hearing that now, but good thinking theme wise I am sure nobody else would come up with it,

Like the take on the theme and personally I like the bits on the right, makes it feel more of a "found" composition than a staged setup IMO.

Gate(d) - I must say it is a interesting take on the theme,and without the explanation I would not of had a clue what it was. Composition works well for me and crisp clean detail in the chip, well done for thinking outside the box.

Great take on theme - the same thing occurred to me on Thursday, but I didn't have any IC's handy. Image-wise I like it, but I think just the unit on a pure white background would have been stronger.

Two very different takes on the themes! I like your 'local area research', but it might have been even better if the props were closer together with a tighter framing.

Nothing to criticise about your NAND gate, very clever!

Clever take on the theme David I like the inclusion of the text and the reflection.

Last edited:
Week 2 - People

Ok, another off the wall week. You see I picked up this bulk roll of Eastman Super-XX 35mm Cine film at a Car Boot two years ago and mislaid it. Not that an extra 2 years makes much difference as it expired in September 1955 . That is a year before I was born! Well I had to try it. Have been testing it to get an useable film speed and developing regimen. Originally it would have been rated at 100ASA. That would (from that time) be about 200 ISO now. So dropping the speed a stop for each decade would be about 6 ISO or 3 ISO. So this was exposed at 6 ISO - which means on a dullish day 1/30th at f/1.8. The funky patterns around the edge are fungus that grew inside the tin on the film over the years.

Very expired - People

I also like this a lot. When I was younger my parents had a lot of antique photos of our village and this very much reminds me of those, they have a very nostalgic air to them. It’s also great to see old film stock being resurrected :)

I like that, the grain, the moodiness, and even the fungus (y)

I can see faces bottom right, eerie. And great fun, thanks for that!

Back