weekly dmb's 52 for 2018 (Wk 30 - Cook) and over and out.

A very interesting image. I like the graininess of it and the fungus as to the fun of the shot

Very unusual, David, and strangely effective! The grain and fungus adds a very 'antique' feel to the whole thing, and your choice of scene means that the film could have been exposed many years ago, and not just this week. Good work, and great to see something other than the perfect, sharp, digital images we cal all produce so easily and plentifully these days :clap:

Love the randomness of the old film and good to see something so different

Love that David very different I really like it feels like it could have been taken in the early 50s and sorted for years

It is stange but likable. Even the photo looks like 1955 should(lack of cars about)

Nor really Week 3 - Stark - I will think of something better ....

DSC_0986es.jpg

Sooty stark naked :exit:

Well, someone had to. I'm surprised it's taken until Wednesday ;)
DoF feels a bit shallow to me, the parts of the sigil closest to the camera feel a little oof (even though you were at f/8). I guess you were quite close to the subject, so the DoF was particularly shallow.

Well, someone had to. I'm surprised it's taken until Wednesday ;)
DoF feels a bit shallow to me, the parts of the sigil closest to the camera feel a little oof (even though you were at f/8). I guess you were quite close to the subject, so the DoF was particularly shallow.

Took most of the week to make! UV cured resin built up in layers then painted. Quite close (about 12 inches) only just enough room to adjust lights, perhaps should have gone f/11 or even f/16.

Took most of the week to make! UV cured resin built up in layers then painted. Quite close (about 12 inches) only just enough room to adjust lights, perhaps should have gone f/11 or even f/16.
Blimey, you made it yourself. That's dedication !!! :)
At 12" the DoF is going to be really shallow. Definitely worth a second shot at a higher f number imo, to get some of the detail you can see in the direwolf's nose along the whole of the sigil.
:clap:

That's some impressive commitment making a prop.

Nice take on the theme

Hi David, I really like your people shot, the fungus has made a really interesting effect on the picture. Naked sooty made me snigger and well done on making the emblem, the focus is a little off towards the bottom but I like all the detail in the hairs. Did you stick it to your cat?:LOL:

Well, someone had to... Good control of exposure and reflections and great sharpness in the fur (y)

Week 4 - Over

We have too many Classics scholars on this challenge. There I was with an idea and a pun and now looking through those already posted I'm left with egg on my face. But I'll crack on and make this a double yolked pun. With my 'easy over ova'

easyover_ova

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

I thought it was going to be 'eggs over easy'

Nice yoke

Good idea for the theme, I'm not overly keen on the top corners but it's hard to think how else you could have framed it.

Nice take on the theme David I like the textures in the pan and the egg, not to sure about the top corners.

Stark - I like it even more now I know you made it too. super prop and right on theme
Over - making your own props again. a very different egg shot from the others, It fits the theme well and yummy edible props too boot

Last edited:
Good idea, but .... bit of a mess ;)

I agree with FujiDaveXX @Dave70D about the zoom or crop.

I think you need more oil in the pan there David.

Dead on theme, but dislike the edge of the pan in shot, bigger pan required, great xmas present for your other half.

:D:D

Mmm fried eggs. Nice idea for the theme

Over

It's a good idea, a bigger pan may have helped.
I've never learnt what over easy means.

Easy Over! Like it. This was my backup plan if I didn't get the shot I wanted :)

Great shot for over, something different! I agree with the comments above that a tighter crop (or a bigger frying pan) would maybe be even better, but clever idea and good light and colours.

@IanD , @sirch , @Dave70D , @LC2 , @Downton Mini , @minx , @d00d , @seaodyssey , @Tilz , @Nostromo , @Pinkbikerbabe , @-Oy- , @Hadron @brrnd .

Thanks for the comments. Eggs over easy, where you roll the part fried egg over, need almost no fat to finish the white off while still leaving the yoke runny as opposed to the 'sunny side up' way where you need fat to baste - so a healthy choice. A bigger pan would have been easier for the photo and cropping. Was a bit of a challenge, cooking with a tripod between me and the stove and doing it through a viewfinder and clicking the cable remote at the right time. Next time I will remember to put a filter on the lens for easier clean up :facepalm:. Oh, @seaodyssey , I value my skull too much to give SWMBO a weapon for Christmas.

Well done for making your prop for Stark, David, that really is dedication! The focus is slightly off in places but at such a close distance it's hard to get that spot on, and the bright gold colours and fur texture behind do help to make up for that. Kudos too for the 'ova' idea - I am loving the lateral thinking the last two themes have shown and this is no exception. Great work on cooking and taking the image at the same time, and there are some lovely textures and colours in there, too (y)

Week 5 - Ageing

It must be old age creeping (or galloping) up on me but it is cold out there so an inside shot - though two of the shots in shot were taken out in the cold this morning.

ageing_polaroid

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Taken on a digital Polaroid Z2300 and printed from camera on ZINK Paper. Subject is an ageing Polaroid 600 series camera and film pack dated 2008 with recently exposed shots.

Picture of an ageing camera with ageing photographs around it taken on an ancient style camera with really old film in it...I think you may have filled the brief for this week. ;)

Last edited:
Back