weekly dmb's 52 of 2017 ( Wk 52 - Weather) - Made it to end :-)

Hi David,
The shot is plenty sharp :)
Good to see that you've not fallen into the trap of thinking f/1.8 lens, so I have to shoot at f/1.8
It's all the better for the deep depth of field
(y)

Excellent take David. I like the combination and composition with the silk overflowing from glass. Spot on.

Nice idea, only possible niggle for me is the stitching no the seam. As I often find when seeing somebody else's ideas a different take comes to mind like using two scarves (or something similar) one black and one cream, guess you can see where I'm going with this one.

Nice sharp shot, and brilliant idea.

Week 5 - Mineral

NaCl_and_ Ti
by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Not a natural mineral. Raw product of the Hunter Process that used to be the method for making pure titanium. The blue crystals are actually just common salt but with the occasional titanium atom caught in the crystal lattice that gives the blue colour. The grey substrate is the very pure titanium which was used for jet engine parts. Taken with off camera flash and a +3 add on lens.

Last edited:
Nice idea, only possible niggle for me is the stitching no the seam. As I often find when seeing somebody else's ideas a different take comes to mind like using two scarves (or something similar) one black and one cream, guess you can see where I'm going with this one.
This is one I rejected - fabric was not silky enough and could not get a nice emerald green background.

20170131_264ec1 by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Last edited:
The mineral photo is great with the beautiful turquoise against the deep black background. But I would have chosen a slightly deeper DoF to get more sharpness throughout.

The mineral photo is great with the beautiful turquoise against the deep black background. But I would have chosen a slightly deeper DoF to get more sharpness throughout.

This is a close up using an add on lens (not a very good one), even at f11 there is a limit to DOF you can get unless you start stacking and I don't think that would add to the picture.

Yes, I too like the colour of the mineral .. could maybe do with a bit more in focus though.

I'm liking both of your smooth images David, a real clever idea, especially the two colours in the second image, and in my opinion it doesn't matter if the materials were not smooth, its the reference to the smooth Guinness that nails it for me (y)

Mineral, a nicely lit lump of rock that, couldn't be closer theme wise, nice colour and detail too :)

Love the smooth silk in the smooth Guinness glass ... creative thinking. (y)

I'm struggling with your Mineral shot ... I've never had any luck with those add-on lens things either. :)

Smooth.....interesting take on the theme, double smooth.

Mineral....lots of detail, suits the black background.

(y)

Very clever idea for your smooth shot David - the seam is the only thing that niggles with me, but I love the lighting on the silk. More depth of field would have been good on your mineral pic but wonderful colour and thanks for the background info!

A lot of people including me would say the glass on its own would do for smooth, did you add to the glass to rummage around the wifes lingerie draw:D...LOL....Nice take. btw.
great colours in mineral.

A catch up from me:
That hair in oil is clever, it amazes me how creative people here can be with everyday things.
Love your colours in your silky smooth Guineas shot.
Again nice colours in your mineral shot.

Smooth, really like the colour and excellent idea for a shot.

The colours on Mineral are even better and thanks for the info of exactly what it is.

The white text looks a little warm on Mac. I'll post an edit if you want (y)

If it looks OK to you, job done :)

Cheers.
Ah. The 'white' text will be getting reflections off the copper background which does not bother me. I adjusted it on the specular reflection of the flash on the spanner which otherwise would be colder.

Sadly, the song is now lingering in my head ha ha. Good take David. The copper does seem to give the surface a liquid chocolate look so a good choice there I think ... as well as the spanner of course for added interest.

Works well for the theme, good lighting and I like the spanner and the coppery background.

Absolutely loving that copper, works a treat. Placement's good, spanner adds humour. (y)

Smooth - Clever idea nice and sharp I dont mind the seam
Mineral - lovely colour great subject for the theme even if its not really a mineral. I would prefer it if it was sharper.
Whole - good composition. I like the inclusion of the spanner and the interestin background

Week 7 - Structure

Decaying Structure 2
by David M Bloor, on Flickr

The former 'Hanley Shopping Centre' next to the brand new bus station. Using my tiny Canon Ixus 70, this is not a place to carry a flashy camera.

Last edited:
Good photo for structure, nice vibrant colours, composition works, and the litter on the ground adds to the atmosphere!

No it doesn't look like a particularly safe place to be but that is a good take for the theme David. Colourful street scene .. .like the blue sky too.

Back