weekly dmb's 52 of 2017 ( Wk 52 - Weather) - Made it to end :-)

Wonderful to see all this kit again David - I used to love watching my cousin develop photos in his darkroom (aka the bathroom!) when I was a kid. He was so patient when I opened the door and ruined all his good work once!

Hi David,

Power - Works for me. Glad you avoided using a shallow DoF to direct the eye, I think it's all the better for being 99% in focus.
Above - Film eh? Nice one. I'm assuming that's taken from a foot bridge of some sort at the exit to a lock. I'm pretty sure it was that sort of perspective in and around locks that brought on the vertigo that I now have. That shot certainly does give a sense of the height you are above the water.
Evolve(d) - Spot on for the theme and a very interesting shot. Having never developed my own film, it's good do see a dark room in action.

Evolve .... As Tim says ... good do see a dark room in action. :) Neat idea.

Hold ....another interesting take. There's a few specks top right that I find a little irritating.

Evolved - I've never seen the inside of a darkroom but would love to give it a go sometime in the future. Good interpretation of the theme.

Hold - Really like this, if I was being really picky I would prefer the penny just a little further from the top of the image.

Evolve - perfect for the topic, Hold - again, matches the topic well and I didn't see the specks until someone mentioned them, perhaps the penny is a little too near the top of the picture?

Different interpretation for Hold (you're not from Yorkshire are you :p) A little bit of a tidy up and it will be really good. Love the dof (y)

Looks like the tool my littlun has for holding components when he's soldering.
Interesting and well thought out, I like the way you've got the penny in focus through the magnifying glass.

Week 16 - Smoke

Student Smoke
by David M Bloor, on Flickr

As a student (in the 70s) this used to sit on my college room window sill. Oddly I never got a visit from the drug squad, but I only ever smoked 'Clan' in it anyway.:muted: :muted:

(Single off camera flash, 2 light control flags, 1 reflector and a black background.)

Last edited:
You've caught the smoke really nicely against the dark background David, but I wonder if you you could have diffused the light falling lower down as it does distract a bit with those bright highlights on the carpet and body of the pipe?

Nice set up (rug & all) ... and that feeling of it being caught in a ray of light. (y)

A shot of two halves. To me you have smoke, dead space, base & props.
The fact that the base is the brightest part of the image directs my eyes there, rather than to your intended subject.
It may be worth trying a graduated darkening of the image so that the smoke grabs your attention first?

What a lovely scene. Doesn't really say vivid to me but ... great, if slightly unusual compo. (y)

The trouble with large is, even though i use and develop film, I cant really tell whats going on or indeed what it is,
I assume it's an enlarger for printing, the only other clue being the Ilford label, it would have been good to see the image you are projecting maybe

Back