weekly dmb's 52 of 2017 ( Wk 52 - Weather) - Made it to end :-)

I'm with Allan and Susie, I didn't know what I was looking at. The second shot makes it obvious, but it's less interesting...

Large - good idea for the theme. Like others I was struggling to know what exactly it was but that doesn't take away from the picture for me, I actually like the slight mystery. I must look into film at some stage, I've only really shot digital since I've started.

Week 19 - Architecture

Macro(ish) Architecture

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

The week I score a £5 bargain macro lens (Cosina 100mm f3.5 Eos fit) @Cobra picks Architecture :(. So I followed his advice and thought laterally. Not quite macro (about 1:3 on the sensor). The 'Tree House' you can see is about 35mm high, all in camera shot, the background is on my tablet.

I love this ...

Not knowingly done what they call macro, I love a proper BG OOF.

I've been taking pics of architecture and/but at the end of the day I know what I want is a gingerbread house shot like this.

EDIT ... and there's even more to this than I had first though, excellent.

Last edited:
Hi David,

Vivid - Good capture of the colours available in the shot and nicely done for a landscape type shot.

Large - I think I preferred #1, maybe because of the obscurity, though having seen the word Ilford, I knew it was to do with film.

Architecture - Nice amusing shot. Sharp and to the point. Could have worked forr vivid too :)

That's quite a different take on architecture, I like it! Brilliant colours throughout.

Architecture - If you didn't mention the background was on your tablet, I would have thought it was real. Nice and bright and a different take.

nice slant on the Broken word ... with once loved cuddly toys now impoverished.

Doesn't work for me I'm afraid. It looks a bit busy to me, without any clear focus point.

I agree with brrnd & Emma that it is a bit on the busy side, but b&w does work for it.
I may have crushed the blacks a bit and played around with the white point too, to give it a more contrasty feel. Perhaps wortha bit of an edit?
Fits the theme well.

Last edited:
Another one for the first one, great framing with people standing around the lock and the captain doing his salute. Lots to see with the canal disappearing into the distance.

Yup, agree with the others #1. It looks like bright sunny day, perfect for messing about on the water.

I too like the captain doing his salute ... he's slightly obscured but the whole thing is well composed. (y)

Last edited:
.. he's slightly obscured ... (y)
The S1a does not have a motor drive option [emoji3] , in fact the winder does not even have a standoff so is quite slow to get to the next frame, Cartier-Bresson would have struggled [emoji6]

That's a great photo of nature being minimalistic. Great composition and great lighting.

Transport - another vote for #1, lots of interest and detail and an activity which isn't seen much (around here at least).

Minimalistic - good choice and well composed. At first I thought the petal could be a bit brighter but actually decided I liked the leading lines on the petals which would probably be lost if it was brighter.

Back