weekly dmb's 52 of 2017 ( Wk 52 - Weather) - Made it to end :-)

Week 23 - Progress

Poogress

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

We have progressed some way from this Tudor privy, latrine or garderobe at Little Moreton Hall in Cheshire. Just a hole in a plank above the moat. Though my grandparents outhouse, within 10 miles of this place, had a two hole plank (adult and child) with buckets underneath.

Some technical difficulties with the shot, no lights, no flash and no tripods allowed !! So even at 1600 ISO and fully open needed over half a second braced against the door jamb.

Last edited:
Those nails look nasty. What no dockleaves?

"over half a second braced against the door jamb" ... I'm doing that all the time.

That's a great idea, made me smile and yes, there's been a lot of progress in that area over the last few decades!

That would indeed be progress.
I dream of such luxury here in the 'Shires......

Those nails look nasty. .... .

Those nails are a remnant of the 1950's when they nailed a plank over the hole to stop visitors using the 'convenience', i suppose removing the plank and leaving the nails serves the same purpose but does let you see all the way down to the ducks swimming in the moat below ;0

Week 24 - Pleasure

Simple Pleasure

Quick shot of a simple pleasure. After a good long walk, a cup of tea and a bacon bap/barm/bun (delete as per locality) from a roadside van before heading home.

Bacon buttie? I've just had one as a Friday treat for breakfast... it certainly is a pleasure!

Quick shot of a simple pleasure ... a bit messy and a bit wonky but I guess that adds to the simple pleasure feel. :)

....a bit messy and a bit wonky.... :)

My car is always messy ;) - but how did I not notice the slope on the tea? :agree: Think I leveled car in front but was on a cambered lay-by. Resorting to physics - reflections from horizontal surface will be vertical , therefore off by a whopping 6 degrees !! So that is why the other half never asks me to put shelves up :oops: :$.

wk24_2017sr.jpg

Week 25 - Tiny

A tiny bit of parsley

The folk saying is that parsley grows well in a garden where the woman wears the trousers :rolleyes:

(Cosina 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens - at 1:1 on Canon 450D so really 1.6:1 on sensor)

Last edited:
Ghostbusting face, another one of your shots I like David. I like the close up or tight crop to really get it in the viewers face :)

“If your photographs aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough” – Robert Capa - though doing that did get him killed.

Certainly in-your-face, can't make up my mind if it is a macro shot of a lego figure or something larger?

:agree: ... Personally I would crop a bit off both the top and bottom. :D A nice find.

Hi David,

Pleasure - Conceptually excellent, the second edit s better :)
Tiny - Again, fits the theme well. The colours are a bit similar, maybe a play with saturation could have the Parsley pop a bit more?
Face - Is that lego? I agree with @d00d, you could lose some top & bottom to give it more impact I think.
Like it though (y)

..., can't make up my mind if it is a macro shot of a lego figure or something larger?

Face - Is that lego? (y)

Is a Playmobil Ghostbuster figure (Egon Spengler), but it is NOT a macro or anywhere near a macro. The figure is a shop display one and stands about 5ft tall. Just added some fake DOF to THIS crop to make it look more 'macro-y'.

DSC_0087_00001cus.jpg

Last edited:
I am so far behind on comments so just going to stick to everyone's latest. I like your fields of gold, plenty of detail and lovely colours, it is a bit busy but that's how these crops are. So a thumbs up from me.

I like the fact that there's still a bit of green in there. I find close ups of pure golden wheat a lacking.
Like Clive said "crops are busy"

I agree, I think that some stalks are still green makes the shot, good take on the theme.

..(is it barley ??) ... .... you did well to capture them still :)

Yes, barley, two row seed head rather than six row so most likely it will be for making beer [emoji481] - waiting for a still moment was painful --- lots of horse flies about and I was wearing short sleeves :eek:

Last edited:
Yes, barley, two row seed head rather than six row so most likely it will be for making beer [emoji481] - waiting for a still moment was painful --- lots of horse flies about and I was wearing short sleeves :eek:
Ahhhhhhh I see... and those pesky flies !!!

Back