weekly dmb's 52 of 2017 ( Wk 52 - Weather) - Made it to end :-)

Good take on curves, the stripes in the fur nicely emphasise the curve.

That green light is electric ... nice

and curve ... sure is. (y)

Makes me hungry just looking at them. They seem happy in their work and the food looks great. Well caught.

definitely says Occupation, would like to see the whole pan. :)

Curves
I really like it. A nice smooth curve and it's a cat (i like cats)

You - nice happy portrait, slight shame about the glasses across the eye.

Arch, bishop would have been good, but that'll do, good detail against he bright sky.

Hi David.

Occupation - Nice bit of colour matching that the restaurant have laid on for you there :)
If possible I would have like to see a bit more of the "Big Pan", but then I don't know what was obscuring the shot, so...

You - Good portrait. Good use of the shallow DoF to separate her from the background.
(y)

Arch - Dang, there goes my idea ;)
Plenty of detail, but the clouds top right seem blown. I guess because you wanted to raise the shadows on the brickwork?
One for a gentle HDR treatment maybe?

Hi David.

Occupation - ... have like to see a bit more of the "Big Pan", but then I don't know what was obscuring the shot, so...

.... Arch - Dang, there goes my idea ;)
Plenty of detail, but the clouds top right seem blown. I guess because you wanted to raise the shadows on the brickwork?
One for a gentle HDR treatment maybe?

Occupation --- Would liked to get more of pan in but every time I stepped back someone would get between me and the food ...

Arch -- no tripod to do HDR shots and was hard enough holding steady in the wind as it was, did adjust curves to bring shadows up and highlights down a bit but trying to avoid grey highlights.

Thanks for comments.

don't know much about portraiture but it looks pretty good to me ... a genuinely happy face. Just wondering if the DOF is a bit shallow tho ... o_O

Nice Arch that ... slightly gothic with simple brickwork ... probably best shot on an overcast day with the exposure cranked up?

Occupation - Great for the theme, definitely shows what they do. I would like to have seen a bit more of the pan but see from your reply to Tim why that didn't happen.
You - Lovely portrait of a lovely smiley lady
Arch - Nice brickwork against a lovely blue sky, whats not to like. Does look like there's not a lot left of it though

:D

Arch - Nice brickwork against a lovely blue sky, whats not to like. Does look like there's not a lot left of it though

:D

There never was much more of it. This is the origin of Mow Cop Castle :- The Castle was built as a summerhouse in 1754 for Randle Wilbraham I of Rode Hall. It was built to look like part of a castle of a bygone era, and would have enhanced the view of the newly constructed Rode Hall some 3 miles away on the Cheshire side of the hill. Mr. Wilbraham employed local stonemasons John and Ralph Harding. It is said they were paid 1 shilling a day, and one of the members of the family lost a hand while constructing the castle. The Wilbraham family used the summerhouse for picnics and entertaining friends on days out.

There never was much more of it. This is the origin of Mow Cop Castle :- The Castle was built as a summerhouse in 1754 for Randle Wilbraham I of Rode Hall. It was built to look like part of a castle of a bygone era, and would have enhanced the view of the newly constructed Rode Hall some 3 miles away on the Cheshire side of the hill. Mr. Wilbraham employed local stonemasons John and Ralph Harding. It is said they were paid 1 shilling a day, and one of the members of the family lost a hand while constructing the castle. The Wilbraham family used the summerhouse for picnics and entertaining friends on days out.

Thanks David, very interesting. Seems like a poor rate of pay but it was a long time ago so maybe not:D

That's a lovely happy portrait for You, David, with a very natural smile. Shame about the position of the glasses across one eye but the natural, open interaction still shines through.

Arch is a lovely shot too; two clear arches and an imposing structure set against a super sky. The low angle works very well (y)

Week 38 - Display

There must be something in the air at 'House for an Art Lover' in Bellahouston Park in Glasgow as the other half was displaying a playful streak.

playful_display

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Interesting take on the theme, it's always good to see people in these photos.

Back